Webrick script/server file does not exist

Hello all, I worked fairly enough with PHP and MySQL, but am very new to Ruby. I have Windows machine with Apache and MySQL installed previously. Both Apache and MySql were stopped while installing Ruby. I tried several ways to install Ruby 1.8.7 and one-step installer. I can use Ruby with netbeans 6.0.1 with its own Ruby or with the one I installed now.

The problem starts when I try to create web ruby application. The command       C:\Sites> rails new helloworld creates the bunch of directories and files:       create       create README       create Rakefile       create config.ru       create .gitignore       create Gemfile       create app       create app/controllers/application_controller.rb       create app/helpers/application_helper.rb       create app/mailers       create app/models       create app/views/layouts/application.html.erb       create config       create config/routes.rb       create config/application.rb       create config/environment.rb       create config/environments       create config/environments/development.rb       create config/environments/production.rb       create config/environments/test.rb       create config/initializers       create config/initializers/backtrace_silencers.rb       create config/initializers/inflections.rb       create config/initializers/mime_types.rb       create config/initializers/secret_token.rb       create config/initializers/session_store.rb       create config/locales       create config/locales/en.yml       create config/boot.rb       create config/database.yml       create db       create db/seeds.rb       create doc       create doc/README_FOR_APP       create lib       create lib/tasks       create lib/tasks/.gitkeep       create log       create log/server.log       create log/production.log       create log/development.log       create log/test.log       create public       create public/404.html       create public/422.html       create public/500.html       create public/favicon.ico       create public/index.html       create public/robots.txt       create public/images       create public/images/rails.png       create public/stylesheets       create public/stylesheets/.gitkeep       create public/javascripts       create public/javascripts/application.js       create public/javascripts/controls.js       create public/javascripts/dragdrop.js       create public/javascripts/effects.js       create public/javascripts/prototype.js       create public/javascripts/rails.js       create script       create script/rails       create test       create test/fixtures       create test/functional       create test/integration       create test/performance/browsing_test.rb       create test/test_helper.rb       create test/unit       create tmp       create tmp/sessions       create tmp/sockets       create tmp/cache       create tmp/pids       create vendor/plugins       create vendor/plugins/.gitkeep

But as you can see script directory contains only one file   rails

Here is its content:

#!/usr/bin/env ruby.exe # This command will automatically be run when you run "rails" with Rails 3 gems installed from the root of your application.

APP_PATH = File.expand_path('../../config/application', __FILE__) require File.expand_path('../../config/boot', __FILE__) require 'rails/commands'

So the command     C:\Sites\helloworld\ruby script/server to start WebRick does not work because script/server file does not exist.

What do I do wrong? Please help

Here is the list of gems:

C:\Sites>gem list --local

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

abstract (1.0.0) actionmailer (3.0.6) actionpack (3.0.6) activemodel (3.0.6) activerecord (3.0.6) activeresource (3.0.6) activesupport (3.0.6) arel (2.0.9) builder (2.1.2) bundler (1.0.12) erubis (2.6.6) i18n (0.5.0) mail (2.2.15) mime-types (1.16) open4 (1.0.1) pg (0.10.1) Platform (0.4.0) polyglot (0.3.1) POpen4 (0.1.4) rack (1.2.2) rack-mount (0.6.14) rack-test (0.5.7) rails (3.0.6) railties (3.0.6) rake (0.8.7) rb-readline (0.4.0) rubyzip2 (2.0.1) sqlite3 (1.3.3 x86-mingw32) sqlite3-ruby (1.3.3) thor (0.14.6) treetop (1.4.9) tzinfo (0.3.26) win32-open3 (0.3.2 x86-mingw32)

Thank you in advance. Maria

Hello all, I worked fairly enough with PHP and MySQL, but am very new to Ruby. I have Windows machine with Apache and MySQL installed previously.

[snip]

But as you can see script directory contains only one file rails

The rails command line stuff changed a lot in rails 3, to start the server you now do rails server, to start the console it's rails console etc.

Fred

Started from Rails 3, the syntax to start a server is:

rails server

or shorter:

rails s

Regards

Hi,

In rails 3 the file in the script folder is called 'rails' and you need to pass in server (or s) as a parameter i.e.

ruby script\rails server

Hopefully it should now work

Gary

You are running rails 3. The command to start the server is 'rails server'.

Thank you very much. I realize it now. Maria