Windows users? - Can I run multiple clients of one client-rails-server?

I'm one of the unmentionable users that has been developing in Windows for the last 3 years. We all know that I can start a DOS script/server session on my machine and run the Rails application on my local browser. Is there a way that other Windows users could somehow 'pipe' onto this DOS session running and point THEIR browsers to it? Obviously, I'm exploring the 'holy grail' to see if we can run multi- user implementations in a Windows environment. Many thanks, David

I'm one of the unmentionable users that has been developing in Windows for the last 3 years. We all know that I can start a DOS script/server session on my machine and run the Rails application on my local browser. Is there a way that other Windows users could somehow 'pipe' onto this DOS session running and point THEIR browsers to it? Obviously, I'm exploring the 'holy grail' to see if we can run multi- user implementations in a Windows environment.

Why would you need to do anything crazy at all - it's still running a perfectly normal web server (it may be default bind to localhost but that's just an option you pass to script/server)

Fred

Fred, Are you saying there's a way to call 'ruby script/server' with some extension to make this server apparent to other users on a Windows network? I've never seen how one can call someone elses' 127.0.0.1 from another machine. Are you aware of any articles or sources that might shed light on this? Thank you, David

Hi David,

Fred, Are you saying there's a way to call 'ruby script/server' with some extension to make this server apparent to other users on a Windows network?

You don't need an extension.

I've never seen how one can call someone elses' 127.0.0.1 from another machine.

As long as they know your machine's IP address and you don't have your ports blocked, they can access the app. Assuming your IP is XXX.XX.XXX.XX and you start mongrel on port 3000, anyone on your subnet can access your app by typing http://XXX.XX.XXX.XX:3000 into their browser address bar.

HTH, Bill

Fred, Are you saying there's a way to call 'ruby script/server' with some extension to make this server apparent to other users on a Windows network? I've never seen how one can call someone elses' 127.0.0.1 from another machine.

Well it won't be magically visible. You just need to know their ip address and stick http://something:3000 into a browser (like i said you might need to make it bind to 0.0.0.0 first)

Fred

Fred, That is so cool..thank you. I can see that a Windows shop could run a Rails application without having to expose themselves to the scary word LINUX. I guess the ALPHA user who is running the server on his Windows machine would run a "ipconfig" to get his IP address and then just tack on the :3000? Thanks, David

Hi,

I've been running a RoR app for more than a year in a Windows server. Until now the only thing needed was to run 'ruby script\server' on a DOS session.

The users, around 45, connect from a LAN and few others, around 10, by VPN access.

The server name is resolved by NetBIOS for local users and by hosts files on remote users. So the only thing they need is the name or address of the server.

InventoryTrackers wrote:

Fred, That is so cool..thank you. I can see that a Windows shop could run a Rails application without having to expose themselves to the scary word LINUX.

Yes, but why would you want to? Linux is a much better server OS than Windows.

I guess the ALPHA user who is running the server on his Windows machine would run a "ipconfig" to get his IP address and then just tack on the :3000?

Theoretically. But don't do that. Set up a real dev server. Generally speaking, no one developer on the team should be hosting a public server instance on his own box. If you're doing this to help share code, well, that's what version control is for.

Thanks, David

Best,