SVN question??

I am using running rails using instant rails and was trying to install the acts_as_ferret plugin located at svn://site_ad. I have a SVN cleint on my machine tortoise but I can not get the pug in to install. i type the typical command and it does not do anything.

ruby script/plugin install svn://projects.jkraemer.net/acts_as_ferret/tags/stable/acts_as_ferret

on a related note, if i dl the plugin and want to install it form a local location i can get the command to recognize the location of the plugin

plugin script/plugin install c:/directory/sub_d/acts_as_ferret

thanks!

any suggestions out there?

any suggestions out there?

> I am using running rails using instant rails and was trying to install > the acts_as_ferret plugin located atsvn://site_ad. I have aSVN > cleint on my machine tortoise but I can not get the pug in to install. > i type the typical command and it does not do anything.

But do you have a command line svn client ? Can you run svn

from the command prompt?

Fred

Plan B to install a plugin would be. Download the entire plugin into your /vendor folder. You wont get the SVN advantage.

Hi tashfeen: I just recently submitted a rubygem for installing subprojects. If you'd like, you could try it to see if it works. It should at least give you an error message if it fails. (I don't know why script/plugin install wouldn't give you an error though, makes me think something strange is happening.)

this is what you'd do, from your main application's directory (not from vendor/plugins)

gem install ext ext install svn://projects.jkraemer.net/acts_as_ferret/tags/stable/acts_as_ferret

It will automatically realize you're using subversion, and also automatically realize it's a rails app and that acts_as_ferret belongs in vendor/plugins.

If you try it out and it winds up failing, I'd be interested in knowing what error message you get.

Cheers.

Thanks for the replies!

I did nto realize you can install a plugin by just putting in the vendor directory. that makes it pretty easy. just for future ref why does not the following command find the plugin: ruby script/plugin install c:/directory/sub_d/acts_as_ferret

I guess my original prob is that i do not have svn available from the command line. i have SVN from tortoise for windows that comes with the nice ui but i guess not command line svn. any recs for one?

Miles I tired your gem and got the below:

C:\ror\rails_apps\project>ext install svn://projects.jkraemer.net/acts_as_ferret/t ags/stable/acts_as_ferret C:/ror/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ext-0.0.8/bin/../lib/externals/ ext.rb:471:in `init': Could not determine this projects scm (RuntimeError)         from C:/ror/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ext-0.0.8/bin/../lib/ externals/e xt.rb:284:in `install'         from C:/ror/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ext-0.0.8/bin/../lib/ externals/e xt.rb:154:in `send'         from C:/ror/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ext-0.0.8/bin/../lib/ externals/e xt.rb:154:in `run'         from C:/ror/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ext-0.0.8/bin/../lib/ externals/e xt.rb:153:in `chdir'         from C:/ror/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ext-0.0.8/bin/../lib/ externals/e xt.rb:153:in `run'         from C:/ror/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ext-0.0.8/bin/ext:5         from C:/ror/ruby/bin/ext:19:in `load'         from C:/ror/ruby/bin/ext:19

oh, is your main project not managed by git or subversion? That's interesting, I hadn't really thought about that.

Thanks for trying it and reporting back the error message.

ext tries to add the plugin to the ignore feature of your main project. If it can't tell what scm the main project is, it can't do that and it bails out.

I'll consider adding an option to not update the ignore when using install, but for now it sounds like ext isn't a good choice for how you're currently managing/deploying your application.

Thanks again for the feedback tashfeen!

Miles

Oh, as for command line subversion clients for windows, the one I use is this one:

but, you could also try this one: