Rails and PostgreSQL ???

Hi every one How are you?

after a days and searching in forums i still can not find some things that helping me to connect Rails with postgre SQL of course those are helpful but not for a stupid person like me :smiley:

So i need my friends helping me here and advice me to how can i connect this two things (ROR and Postgre Sql) I need your help so much My eyes going blind because of searching and looking at monitor. :frowning: Please Help me. S.O.S

there is some details about my system ==>

=> I have MS Windows Xp on my desktop => I installed ruby 1.9.1-p378 => I installed rail 2.3.5 => I installed PostgreSql 8.4

I am a newbie in ROR so please advice me step by step PLEASE. :slight_smile:

Thanks and Thanks and Thanks so much

Amir Sanaii wrote:

Hi every one How are you?

after a days and searching in forums i still can not find some things that helping me to connect Rails with postgre SQL of course those are helpful but not for a stupid person like me :smiley:

So i need my friends helping me here and advice me to how can i connect this two things (ROR and Postgre Sql) I need your help so much My eyes going blind because of searching and looking at monitor. :frowning: Please Help me. S.O.S

Well, you'd get better help if you told us what you'd already tried and what didn't work (with error messages as applicable).

there is some details about my system ==>

=> I have MS Windows Xp on my desktop => I installed ruby 1.9.1-p378 => I installed rail 2.3.5 => I installed PostgreSql 8.4

I am a newbie in ROR so please advice me step by step PLEASE. :slight_smile:

Have you installed any of the gems for connecting Ruby with Postgres (such as postgres or pg)? Without these gems, Ruby can't talk to the DB.

Thanks and Thanks and Thanks so much

-----------------

Best Regards Amir

Best,

I had same problem… but i use ubuntu 9.04… i had configure my postgresql look at this blog(it’s in pt-br)http://chevitarese.wordpress.com/2009/05/18/postgresql-ubuntu-9-04/ i think the configured is same … XD

Please post database.yml file and any errors in development.log. It does work fine, postgres is my fav database for AR

Carina Brito wrote:

I had same problem... but i use ubuntu 9.04... i had configure my postgresql look at this blog(it's in pt-br) PostgreSQL + Ubuntu 9.04 | Fred Chevitarese ... i think the configured is same ... XD

Thanks to all thank you my friend Marnen Laibow-Koser

I solved my problem with your advice and of course my god help :slight_smile: I had problem on three things :

first => my pgadmin ;i mean i didn't set my pgAdmin's username in database.Yml as user name

second => I have two version for ruby so errors comes out one after another

third => I set the wrong gem install for postgreSql

special thanks to my friend Carina Brito for his help :slight_smile: thank you man :slight_smile:

=^.^=…Your welcome… but… i’m a woman… XD… i’m not man heheh

another question ? =>

Can we have and use different DBMS install gem on one machine ? for example : gem install sqlite-3 and gem install mysql and gem install ... and use one of them for each project i mean one project use MS SQL SERVER and another one use postgreSQL in the same time?

I am so sorry please forgive me because my fault :frowning:

thank you my friend (I think this is better sentence) :smiley:

Yes, just put the appropriate setting in database.yml. You can even have different drivers between production and development on the same app.

Colin

chris wrote:

Please post database.yml file and any errors in development.log. It does work fine, postgres is my fav database for AR

production:   adapter: postgresql   database: myportal   username: usr   password: pwd   host: myhost

development:    adapter: sqlite3    database: db/development.sqlite    timeout: 5000    charset: UTF8

test:    adapter: sqlite3    database: db/test.sqlite    timeout: 5000    charset: UTF8

oracle:   adapter: oracle   database: srv/instance   username: usr   password: pwd   encoding: utf8

This is my database.yml. I use sqlite for test and development and postgres in production for my main db. I also need data from some tables located in oracle.

Here is how you write model for table in oracle db:

class Ora_client < ActiveRecord::Base   establish_connection(:oracle)   set_table_name "klients_table" end