Question about experience with RadRails

Hi!

I have been using kate to edit my rails projects files, but this new project is just too big to be confortable with kate (too many files in different directories, with the same name). Before that, I used vim, but it was hard to change the file encoding (to work with UTF-8 instead if ISO8859-1). And, off course, kate's "colapse feature" is great. Another feature I like from vim and kate is that I can vertically (or horizontally) split the editor window to have two (or more) views from the same file, or two files one above the other.

Anway, I took a look at RadRails, and looks pretty good. But, I'm concerned: is it currently "stable". Another thing: I don't see an option to "split" the editor window, in order to have two views of the same file at the same time.

I would like to hear if somebody had used RadRails for a large project with no problems.

Thanks in advance,

Ildefonso Camargo

My personal expierences with RadRails have been somewhat mixed. I have found that on my systems, it tends to be a bit slow and not totally stable under Ubuntu. In windows, I have had much better luck and use it daily with no stability problems. In OSX, I have found it to be much faster than either windows or Ubuntu, but haven't used it enough to really state whether it is stable or not.

Overall, I am very happy using eclipse for my dev work. It's integration with Subversion is very nice and that is the main reason I use it. I personally use the more current stable release from Eclipse.org and then add in the Radrails plugins -- I don't use the installer released from Radrails.

Hope this is helpful.

steve

Thanks!

My personal expierences with RadRails have been somewhat mixed. I have found that on my systems, it tends to be a bit slow and not totally stable under Ubuntu. In windows, I have had much better luck and use

Has these stability problems in Ubuntu cuased you to lose data? I use Debian Sid.

it daily with no stability problems. In OSX, I have found it to be much faster than either windows or Ubuntu, but haven't used it enough to really state whether it is stable or not.

Overall, I am very happy using eclipse for my dev work. It's integration with Subversion is very nice and that is the main reason I use it. I personally use the more current stable release from Eclipse.org and then add in the Radrails plugins -- I don't use the installer released from Radrails.

Ok, I'll do the same and give it a good try. I'm begining to use subversion myself, so I may find it useful.

I've been using Eclipse with the RadRails plugin full time on Fedora for several months. Only very occasionally (every 6 weeks or so) have issues where the Eclipse java engine goes berserk and needs to be killed manually and Eclipse restarted.

As for splitting the editor window for *different* files. Easy. Just open the files into separate tabs, then click and drag one tab up, down, left, right, whatever you want. Drag far enough and the docs will split into to two side-by-side or top/bottom views. Want three views (one across the bottom and the two on top side-by-side)? Just drag a third one to wherever. Four files viewed in a grid? Just keep dragging tabs.

Now, opening two views of the same file... Right click the tab for the open file in question & select 'New Editor'. Now there's two tabs for the same file. See above trick for dragging tabs to get them side-by-side. Type into one and your text instantly appears in the other.

soulhunter wrote:

Anway, I took a look at RadRails, and looks pretty good. But, I'm concerned: is it currently "stable". Another thing:

Hi - I used radrails for a while about 6 months ago and found it to be really slow and somewhat prone to crashing.

The best editor I've found is JEdit. The basic editor is really light, but there are tons of plugins you can get. Including one for ruby syntax highlighting and code complete.

The best thing is the tabs plugin, which lets you make your file tabs read horizontally but stack vertically, so I can easily work with 25 files open.

Cheers Starr

Hi!

> Anway, I took a look at RadRails, and looks pretty good. But, I'm > concerned: is it currently "stable". Another thing:Hi - I used radrails for a while about 6 months ago and found it to be really slow and somewhat prone to crashing.

The best editor I've found is JEdit. The basic editor is really light, but there are tons of plugins you can get. Including one for ruby syntax highlighting and code complete.

The best thing is the tabs plugin, which lets you make your file tabs read horizontally but stack vertically, so I can easily work with 25 files open.

Do you have a "fast" way of "knowing" wich "new.rhtml" file out of the 10 you have open is each of the ones in the tabs?...

kate have the same "side tab" feature (already build in, and include folding of code, and other stuff), but the problem is that, when you have 5 or 10 files open with the same name, they all look the same on the side bar :-S (well, it appends a "(<number>)", but still you can't tell wich one is for users, and wich one is for pets without clicking on them and watching the status bar) ... and despite the fact that kate changes the background color to signal the "order" in wich you have used the files, you could still get lost there......

I liked the "tree view" of the application structure that eclipse have... and yes: it is slow (compared to other editors)... and that damn "rails" button .... I clicked it once by accident the other day... and it just ran rails over my app again withou confirmation..... fortunelly I had a really recent backup copy at hand.

I will certenly take a look at JEdit when I have the time ....

Thanks for your answer!

Ildefonso Camargo