Use of Editors(like Radrails,Netbeans) in ROR?

Hi All,

Willing to know if by using Editors, will we able to modify things(like
labels,etc) on the view layer. Or is it safer to change them using
individual files in the app/views folder ??

Premanshu Mishra wrote:

Hi All,

Willing to know if by using Editors, will we able to modify things(like
labels,etc) on the view layer. Or is it safer to change them using
individual files in the app/views folder ??

As far as I know, no.
But the magic of rails is that is so simple that you're better off using
a regular editor.

Your question doesn't make any sense; regardless of what editor or
IDE you use, you'll be "changing files" in the app directory.

Maybe you can restate?

@hassan

I believe he wants a wysiwyg for rails views.

Radhames Brito wrote:

@hassan

I believe he wants a wysiwyg for rails views.

You can use any WYSIWYG HTML editor for that -- with all the attendant
problems. The OP should learn HTML and do it right. :slight_smile:

Best,

Yes but he wants one with rails support, you know of any? i never cared to look.

I haven't used it much at all, but the WYSIWYG Flux from http://theescapers.com purports to do this. I think has some limited ability to create controllers and models etc. too. I remember seeing a screencast showing this a while back, but I don't see it on their site any more.

Walter

Hi All,

Re phrasing my earlier doubt.

I installed radrails but could not use it as i dont understand what help
it has to offer me. If i have to change the view of my application say
for example :

i will change a label named "School Name" to "College Name" will I be
able to change it using radrails or i have to go to my app directory and
change it there in the particular file.

i will change a label named "School Name" to "College Name" will I be
able to change it using radrails or i have to go to my app directory and
change it there in the particular file.

RadRails or any IDE will allow you to edit the files of your
application, so when you say 'using radrails or i have to go to my app
directory' does not make much sense because both things are one and
the same. The IDE goes to your application and opens the files in it
and when outside of the IDE you also go to your application and open
the files in it. Same difference.

Many people here don't like IDE's and like to just use a 'simpler'
editor. Many of them like TextMate. I find IDEs useful if only because
they allow you to search/replace easily any text within the project.
They also help with refactoring, etc.

If you need help with methods, classes, etc. help is usually just a
Ctrl+Space Bar or similar away in the IDE, but I personally prefer
going to 'apidock.com' and 'ruby-doc.org'.

pepe wrote in post #949502:
[...]

Many people here don't like IDE's and like to just use a 'simpler'
editor. Many of them like TextMate. I find IDEs useful if only because
they allow you to search/replace easily any text within the project.

So do good (non-IDE) editors like TextMate or KomodoEdit.

Please don't mislead people about the features of editors.

They also help with refactoring, etc.

Have you ever seen an IDE that actually does this effectively for Ruby?
I have not. The Ruby Refactoring Browser for Eclipse never seems to
work (unless there's been a recent upgrade that I missed).

If refactoring tools were out there, this would be a big win. But they
aren't, are they?

If you need help with methods, classes, etc. help is usually just a
Ctrl+Space Bar or similar away in the IDE, but I personally prefer
going to 'apidock.com' and 'ruby-doc.org'.

apidock.com is probably the ugliest and most confusing docs site I've
seen. Have you tried http://www.railsapi.com ?

Best,

Neither have I. Every Ruby IDE I've tried falls flat on it's face as
far as code completion. That would be the one feature that MIGHT pull
me away from Emacs, but I've not seen it up to now.

Greg Donald wrote in post #949575:

They also help with refactoring, etc.

Have you ever seen an IDE that actually does this effectively for Ruby?
I have not.

Neither have I. Every Ruby IDE I've tried falls flat on it's face as
far as code completion.

I've seen Komodo (and perhaps NetBeans) do decently with Ruby code
completion. I was talking here about refactoring tools, not code
completion.

Then again, I don't care much about code completion in Ruby, so I don't
look particularly hard at its quality in editors I use for Ruby. (I do
find it useful in other languages.)

That would be the one feature that MIGHT pull
me away from Emacs, but I've not seen it up to now.

--
Greg Donald

Best,

i will change a label named “School Name” to “College Name” will I be

able to change it using radrails or i have to go to my app directory and

change it there in the particular file.

What you are trying to ask is, “if you can change the view through a wysiwyg?” otherwise this still makes no sense, what you want is a “what you see is what you get” editor for rails, it does not exist, every IDE out there is as good as notepad (a little exageration) for programming rails, but this is not a bad thing it only means that rails is simple and easy to manage.

Please don't mislead people about the features of editors.

Not trying to. If you read more carefully you'll notice that I didn't
even try to mention a single feature of text editors, among other
things because I don't really know much about them. I was solely
commenting on IDEs capabilities and why I use them.

Please pay attention before accusing.

Have you ever seen an IDE that actually does this effectively for Ruby?
I have not. The Ruby Refactoring Browser for Eclipse never seems to
work (unless there's been a recent upgrade that I missed).

If refactoring tools were out there, this would be a big win. But they
aren't, are they?

Still better to have a computer that helps you and saves you time than
doing the searching, etc. by hand, IMHO. Things might not be perfect
but can save you time.

apidock.com is probably the ugliest and most confusing docs site I've
seen. Have you triedhttp://www.railsapi.com?

Yes I have as well as other sources, as I am sure you do too. The fact
that you don't like something does not mean others will not or won't
find it useful. And the fact that I only mentioned a couple of sites
does not mean that those are the only ones I use or would recommend,
they are just a couple of examples where the OP could find some
information.

RubyMine has some nice refactoring tools. I can’t say I’ve pushed them very hard, but when I have tried them they’ve worked well.

(Disclaimer: I have no connection to the company, I’m just a RubyMine user.)

pepe wrote in post #949641:

Please don't mislead people about the features of editors.

Not trying to. If you read more carefully you'll notice that I didn't
even try to mention a single feature of text editors, among other
things because I don't really know much about them. I was solely
commenting on IDEs capabilities and why I use them.

You said you like IDEs because of global search and replace
capabilities; you seemed to be implying that other editors couldn't do
that.

But you yourself have just admitted that you don't know much about text
editors, so how can you effectively draw comparisons between them and
IDEs?

Or did you mean something else entirely?

[...]

Still better to have a computer that helps you and saves you time than
doing the searching, etc. by hand, IMHO. Things might not be perfect
but can save you time.

And you don't need an IDE for that.

apidock.com is probably the ugliest and most confusing docs site I've
seen. Have you triedhttp://www.railsapi.com?

Yes I have as well as other sources, as I am sure you do too. The fact
that you don't like something does not mean others will not or won't
find it useful.

Of course it doesn't. I just wanted to be sure you were aware of what I
consider to be a superior alternative.

And the fact that I only mentioned a couple of sites
does not mean that those are the only ones I use or would recommend,
they are just a couple of examples where the OP could find some
information.

Sure.

Best,

Mark Weston wrote in post #949681:

RubyMine has some nice refactoring tools. I can't say I've pushed them
very
hard, but when I have tried them they've worked well.

(Disclaimer: I have no connection to the company, I'm just a RubyMine
user.)

Good to know. I've been trying to avoid spending money on an IDE, but I
think that I have a copy of RubyMine I can try on my work computer and
see if it's worth the money...

...and looking at the website, I see that they also offer the program
free to open-source projects. I have several of those, so I could
probably get a free license that way and try it out.

Best,

You said you like IDEs because of global search and replace
capabilities; you seemed to be implying that other editors couldn't do
that.

To seem to an to actually do are different things.

But you yourself have just admitted that you don't know much about text
editors, so how can you effectively draw comparisons between them and
IDEs?

I still fail to see where I compared editors and IDEs although I
understand that maybe by mentioning both in the same paragraph might
have led you to believe I was if I was not very clear in my intention.

Or did you mean something else entirely?

I meant what I said, no more no less. I just think you read a little
too much in it or I wasn't clear enough.

> Still better to have a computer that helps you and saves you time than
> doing the searching, etc. by hand, IMHO. Things might not be perfect
> but can save you time.

And you don't need an IDE for that.

Of course not, the same way that I don't need an airplane to go from
NY to LA but it just might make things a little easier. If I have a
tool that already provides the functionality (or close) that I need,
why not use it?

pepe wrote in post #949706:

You said you like IDEs because of global search and replace
capabilities; you seemed to be implying that other editors couldn't do
that.

To seem to an to actually do are different things.

But you yourself have just admitted that you don't know much about text
editors, so how can you effectively draw comparisons between them and
IDEs?

I still fail to see where I compared editors and IDEs although I
understand that maybe by mentioning both in the same paragraph might
have led you to believe I was if I was not very clear in my intention.

Likely what happened. In the context of the discussion as a whole, I
thought you were comparing IDEs and other editors. Apparently you
weren't. Sorry for misunderstanding.

[...]

> Still better to have a computer that helps you and saves you time than
> doing the searching, etc. by hand, IMHO. Things might not be perfect
> but can save you time.

And you don't need an IDE for that.

Of course not, the same way that I don't need an airplane to go from
NY to LA but it just might make things a little easier. If I have a
tool that already provides the functionality (or close) that I need,
why not use it?

Because there are other tools out there providing equivalent
functionality without the disadvantages?

Anyway, by your own admission, you don't know much about the
alternatives. Get out there and do some research! :slight_smile:

Best,

Likely what happened. In the context of the discussion as a whole, I
thought you were comparing IDEs and other editors. Apparently you
weren't. Sorry for misunderstanding.

Same here.

>> And you don't need an IDE for that.

[...]

Because there are other tools out there providing equivalent
functionality without the disadvantages?

What disadvantages?

Quote from answer to Mark Weston:
Mark wrote:

RubyMine has some nice refactoring tools. I can't say I've pushed them
very
hard, but when I have tried them they've worked well.

(Disclaimer: I have no connection to the company, I'm just a RubyMine
user.)

Marnen wrote:
Good to know

Anyway, by your own admission, you don't know much about the
alternatives. Get out there and do some research! :slight_smile:

Seems we both have some research to do. :wink: