patch acceptance

I've had some patches (pull requests) ready in github for a while now and I haven't seen much action on them yet. Are there some specific steps that need to be taken other than just submitting a pull request? I noticed some patches have tags associated with them, but I don't know how you add these or if they are even necessary.

When using lighthouse, patches seemed to get accepted much faster, whereas with github, patches seem to sit and get little attention (so far). I realize core is busy, but the difference in response time between acceptance on lighthouse vs github leads me to believe it's because of steps I've failed to perform to get the process moving along.

Any advice on what needs to be done after a pull request is submitted?

Which specific PRs are you referring to?

Generally if PRs are straightforward bug fixes etc they get merged pretty quickly. But when people suggest features or submit PRs that are not straightforwardly mergeable** they can linger unfortunately.

One thing you can do to help yourself if to make it really clear that you have thought about all the possible problems already, e.g.

* Get a friend to review the code * Give detailed explanation in the PR about the problem and the solution, to demonstrate that you've looked into it thoroughly * Make sure the tests are really thorough

As a committer, I often find it quite hard to find time to work on 'the stuff I wanna work on' as whenever I sit down there is already a backlog of bugs and pull requests to deal with. So please bear with us basically :slight_smile:

But Github does seem better than Lighthouse IMO. Numerous pull requests do get merged daily.

** Reasons why a PR may not be straightforwardly mergeable:

* Requires the merger to spend a non-trivial amount of time wrapping their head around the issue before feeling confident to accept the PR * Poor code quality * Suggests feature that may or may not be a good idea. Requires thought and discussion.

I actually just noticed one of my 3 recent PR's was pulled and closed the day I submitted it... I just didn't receive notification from github of such an action. So kudos for the quick response on that one.

The other 2 PR's are: https://github.com/rails/rails/pull/2499 - Very basic, but fixes a completely broken test method. https://github.com/rails/rails/pull/2485 - Again quite basic, and also fixes a regression from older rails versions. This one I consider to be a major issue though.

I don't want to sound like I demand instant acceptance of PR's, just that I wasn't sure if there was something else that committers required before accepting a PR. I appreciated all the hard work core is doing.

Regards