New to Rails.

Can someone help me get started, i've been messing around with it lately, and i also learn some Ruby to understand RoR somemore. I've been trying to get it too work for awhile, but my problem is that i can NEVER get mySQL to install in anyway, shape, or form. It's really aggravating, so if anyone has anytips, that would be helpful!

-Zack

You might want to try an all in one package like instant rails or locomotive. Slicehost also have some great walkthroughs for getting everything installed on various flavours of linux and hivelogic has good instructions for a setup on a mac. Finally to get started and get a feel for things you might have an easier time of just using the default sqlite3.

Fred

Zack K. wrote:

Can someone help me get started, i've been messing around with it lately, and i also learn some Ruby to understand RoR somemore. I've been trying to get it too work for awhile, but my problem is that i can NEVER get mySQL to install in anyway, shape, or form. It's really aggravating, so if anyone has anytips, that would be helpful!

-Zack

What are you trying to install? Instant Rails? Is there any kind of error that is being thrown?

Windows, Mac, Linux, OpenSolaris?

I have locomotive on OS X 10.5 and i can't get mySQL to install right. That's my main problem.

Zack K. wrote:

-Zack

Zack,

One thing that seemed to trip me up a the beginning was setting up my paths correctly.

It may benefit you, first, to read this page: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/mac-os-x-installation.html

What output do you see when you type this into terminal: ~$ echo $PATH

(please just type "echo $PATH", the "~$ " denotes that we're in terminal.)

Lake

Zack,

Good luck!

Robby

I'm curious as to the choice for Locomotive and not using Rails just within Mac OS X itself.

10.5 changed some things. I've used this a couple of times already to do from source (which is the most flexible and best for understanding and learning):

H

10.5 changed some things. I've used this a couple of times already to do from source (which is the most flexible and best for understanding and learning):

Dan Benjamin

As far as mysql goes, I've never done anything fancier than
downloading the prebuilt packages from mysql

Fred

I installed the .prefpane for System Preferences and it and always crashes when i try to start the server the prefpane crashes, any ideas?

Rails 2.1 uses SQLite by default. you may want to go with that. Its pretty slick.

Karmen

The prefpane is broken in 10.5 last I check. For now just search for "mysql_safe" and google how to start from command line. The real issue here is OSX is not like Linux AT ALL in how it starts daemons. And some of the reading you might find on Linux simply won't apply.

My real recommendation to people getting into Rails is you HAVE to have some sysadmin comfort. Rails is NOT a a RAD in the sense of the 1990's (i'm showing my age :)). Don;t take this as a condemnation. I am glad you are getting into Rails Zack. The primary issue with using packages is that when they don't work or something about your system is broken, you have no recourse.

I would recommend the following before you continue ANY further:

*download XCode 3 from Apple. and install *run apple updates. *ONLY use packages that say they work for 10.5. DO NOT assume 10.4 packages will work(they might). Apple has made some changes to 10.5 that I can't recall. But you are going to say yourself trouble if you at least consider my warning.

Secondly, If you are not ready to take the jump into downloading source. Then investigate using Fink or DarwinPorts. I have found these invaluable when I needed something running quickly (they do some of the compiling work for you).

Good luck. Hank

I just downloaded the new version of rails which has SQLite with it, any tips on getting things set up?

Have fun, read lots, and ask questions. SQLite3 is a wonderful way to get started with things.