Having a terrible time

Hey guys and ladies. I'm really new to RoR and I have spent 3-4 weeks trying to find out how to install and getting and IDE to work with it.. I've tried on Ubuntu and Windows (I know windows isn't the greatest to use for Rails but yeah) I feel like I tried everything

Any Tips trick or problem solving for RoR I would like to know your stories to.. Feel welcome to call me a noob I'll take the criticism.

Thank you,

One T Mathew

I don’t really see why you have problems installing RoR. Windows is not recommended, of course. What I do is I install a fresh copy of Ubuntu, and then run railsready from

https://github.com/joshfng/railsready

Dheeraj Kumar

We cannot help much unless you tell us what your current problem is. So on Ubuntu what issue are you having? Just one issue at a time please or the answers get all mixed up.

Colin

Hey guys and ladies. I’m really new to RoR and I have spent 3-4 weeks

trying to find out how to install and getting and IDE to work with it…

I’ve tried on Ubuntu and Windows (I know windows isn’t the greatest to

use for Rails but yeah) I feel like I tried everything

Have you read Agile Web Development with Rails? It could help you, and if you search here

http://guides.rubyonrails.org/

you can find some help, I suggest to keep with ubuntu… it may be difficult to install what its necessary (rvm… dependencies… etc) but you find it useful

An IDE it’s not necessary, you may try with gedit or if you keep on windows just notepad :slight_smile:

Any Tips trick or problem solving for RoR I would like to know your

stories to… Feel welcome to call me a noob I’ll take the criticism.

That’s not necessary :slight_smile:

Oops, didn’t read the mail properly. I recommend Sublime Text 2. It’s cross platform (Win, Linux, Mac), supports textmate bundles, and has an awesome distraction-free mode. If you are new to rails, you should first understand that IDEs are not commonly used for rails dev, although some good ones exist, like RubyMine and Aptana Studio

Dheeraj Kumar

If you are new to Rails, why in the world are you worrying about getting an IDE to work with it? I would recommend that you not do this.

Fire up a text editor like vim, emacs, or even gedit and a terminal or two and go to town. You want to keep things basic, so that you can learn HOW rails works. The two things you should be doing is editing text files and running rails/rake commands from the command line.

Trying to use a fancy IDE like RubyMine will teach you very little about what is going on behind the scenes, plus, as you have found, if you don’t yet know what you are doing, it can be hard to get working properly.

If you follow this approach, you may find that, even after you learn how rails works, that you don’t WANT to go back to using an IDE, that you can do just fine using a plain old editor and the command line.

Jamey

You said Ȋ̊† all Jamey cribbs. I’m also a newbie on ROR. I took my steps †ђξ way you said Ȋ̊†. I never had any regrets. Saying windows ȋ̝̊̅§ not †ђξ best environment ȋ̝̊̅§ not a gud idea. I use both ubuntu and windows to run ROR and I never had issues. I spent less than an hour to install and get started writing an apps. I advice you follow what Jamey said. Cilsilver

Wow :smiley: thank you very much and thank you all for answering so fast thank you <3

Have you tried this? Ruby on Rails 3.1 Installation – Ubuntu (11.04, 11.10) and Linux Mint (11, 12) | Mircea Goia

Mircea

I tried my first steps in an windows environment, whenever I wanted to install a gem that needed to be "natively build" I ran into trouble, it had cost hours of googling around to get every gem building. Once I switched over to a linux powered VM and installed gcc toolchain therein, also using it for RoR dev, no more problems occured, if I had made the change earlier it had only cost about 2 hours to download that linux version and from then on all had worked in the first try. I had saved days of time in overall.

Also there where problems when I tried to deploy (even a small) applications I had coded in windows, I ran into problems because of incompatibilities between NTFS and LinuxFilesystems (casesensitivity), or other things... Since I use a system that is close as possible to the one I want to deploy on, I never ran into deploying problems.

This makes me stick to "Rails is not for Windows, dont do it unless you have to!"

Bye Norbert