Setup Issues UPDATE**

An update on my setup and progress…I am up and running and going through the Michael Hartl tutorial book. So far I like the rails framework a lot and have gotten past a few difficult stages such as the many areas involved in setup and the github.

-I am starting to see the benefits of Github now.

-I have been using Sublime Text 2 and like it. I tried the Eclipse Aptana plug in but the rails interface didn’t seem to be properly installed. I may try the standalone version eventually.

-I am really having a hard time with the “test first” rspec philosophy. It’s a little different for me.

-The end of Ch 3 is beginning to get confusing with the introduction of postgres db. It says you may skip it and use sqllite, which I may do. I already have MSSQL server express and mySQL running and don’t really want to add a 3rd db.

So far any confusing parts have become clear so I’m hoping if I keep on it will all come to me.

I take it it is possible to develop a RoR application on a windows machine and deploy to a linux server?

Mike

An update on my setup and progress...I am up and running and going through the Michael Hartl tutorial book. So far I like the rails framework a lot and have gotten past a few difficult stages such as the many areas involved in setup and the github.

-I have been using Sublime Text 2 and like it. I tried the Eclipse Aptana plug in but the rails interface didn't seem to be properly installed. I may try the standalone version eventually.

-I am really having a hard time with the "test first" rspec philosophy. It's a little different for me.

-The end of Ch 3 is beginning to get confusing with the introduction of postgres db. It says you may skip it and use sqllite, which I may do. I already have MSSQL server express and mySQL running and don't really want to add a 3rd db.

So far any confusing parts have become clear so I'm hoping if I keep on it will all come to me.

I take it it is possible to develop a RoR application on a windows machine and deploy to a linux server?

Yes, the application itself does not care what OS it is running on. Most find it much easier to develop on a Linux or Mac system however.

Colin

An update on my setup and progress...I am up and running and going through the Michael Hartl tutorial book. So far I like the rails framework a lot and have gotten past a few difficult stages such as the many areas involved in setup and the github.

-I have been using Sublime Text 2 and like it. I tried the Eclipse Aptana plug in but the rails interface didn't seem to be properly installed. I may try the standalone version eventually.

-I am really having a hard time with the "test first" rspec philosophy. It's a little different for me.

-The end of Ch 3 is beginning to get confusing with the introduction of postgres db. It says you may skip it and use sqllite, which I may do. I already have MSSQL server express and mySQL running and don't really want to add a 3rd db.