WHy is rails so annoying to deploy?

Arthur Rats wrote:

I've been having great fun trying to deploy a fresh install of rails on debian, specifically xlsuite to test it out, but my god how many more errors can I take before I give up.

RAILS IS NOT NICE

After battling with countless different errors from trying Ubuntu, Fedora, Windows and now Debian the list goes on and on and ON...

Try Heroku. "git push heroku master" and you're deployed. End of story.

- D

For "rmagick" error: have u got the following debian packages installed?

imagemagick librmagick-ruby librmagick-ruby1.8

on debian, check using dpkg --get-selections | grep magick

Pradeep

thanks! working better now

still in xlsuite get the nil errors...

You'll get a lot farther if you *read* the error messages. The message above is telling you there's an error on line 8 of app/views/accounts/ new.html.erb. The offending bit of code is:

@_parent_domain.name

That variable is set in a before_filter on AccountController, line 386:

@_parent_domain = self.get_request_parent_domain

get_request_parent_domain is defined on ApplicationController, lines 457-466. It's looking for a Domain record to match the last parts of the incoming request's domain. If none is found, it's returning Domain.find_by_name('xlsuite.com').

Digging around further, it appears that the db:bootstrap rake tast (that it tells you to run in INSTALL) sets up the initial host mapping for localhost - or tries to, as I think it will only work if you've set up subdomains off of localhost (it drops the first part of the domain).

If you've got it deployed on a server with a DNS name rather than locally, you'll either need to make sure that it's set up with a subdomain (xlsuite.somedomain.com vs. somedomain.com) or you could simply change the default case the the bottom of get_request_parent_domain to return the right record.

Hope this helps!

--Matt Jones