What's wrong with Mongrel?

I've recently moved to a new system, Mac OS X 10.5, which has Rails and Mongrel installed by default. Yet when I fire up the server with "script/server", Webrick is used instead of Mongrel. And when trying to force the use of Mongrel with "script/server mongrel" I get "PROBLEM: Mongrel is not available on your system (or not in your path)". This is true since Mongrel is installed as a RubyGem, but that was also the case on my previous system, where Mongrel was properly recognized... What am I missing here? Thanks for any help, Sebastian

Is the $PATH pointing at a ruby other than the one supplied by OS X (ie what does which ruby say ?)

Fred

Thanks for replying, Frederick!

I use the default ruby install: /usr/bin/ruby But now that you mention it: on my previous machine I used a MacPort install (/opt/local/bin/ruby) What does this tell you?

Sebastian

sebastian wrote:

I've recently moved to a new system, Mac OS X 10.5, which has Rails and Mongrel installed by default. Yet when I fire up the server with "script/server", Webrick is used instead of Mongrel. And when trying to force the use of Mongrel with "script/server mongrel" I get "PROBLEM: Mongrel is not available on your system (or not in your path)". This is true since Mongrel is installed as a RubyGem, but that was also the case on my previous system, where Mongrel was properly recognized... What am I missing here? Thanks for any help, Sebastian

maybe uninstall and reinstall mongrel, make sure you're using the same gem version as the ruby version

Hi,

I have the exact same issue here on a fresh new install of Tiger, with RubyOSX. I really think it is a path issue, but I don't know how to handle it...

Yet when I fire up the server with "script/server", Webrick is used instead ofMongrel. And when trying to force the use ofMongrelwith "script/servermongrel" I get "PROBLEM:Mongrelis not available on your system (or not in your path)".

Not sure if this will be of any relevance to anyone else having these problems, but the same thing just started happening to me. In my case I'm using capistrano to deploy to a mongrel server and found that having the mongrel.rb file (containing the deploy task overrides for mongrel) in my config directory was what's causing my problems.

I renamed this to capistrano_mongrel.rb and now mongrel is used instead of webrick when running in development mode locally.

Rupert

$ script/server mongrel => Booting Mongrel (use 'script/server webrick' to force WEBrick) PROBLEM: Mongrel is not available on your system (or not in your path)

Same Issue here, it IS the reason, because the include looks for a certain mongrel.rb

thank you rupert! Renaming helped me out.