What remains constant with Rails 1.2 and rails 2.0.2

Hello,

I have been waiting for good books on rails 2.0.2, but unfortunately it seems very far.

I don't think... i will be getting very good books like ... (1) Rails Space, Ruby for Rails and many other specially written and thoroughly checked with an example site.

I am not willing to wait more for new books to arrive. I would rather start reading with proven books for rails 1.2.

My confusion starts when ... I cannot guess... What remains constant with Rails 1.2 and 2.0.2 and what has changed totally in rails 2.0.2.

What should i be reading in rails 1.2 book and what should i not touch Will the hosting companies run my codes in rails 1.2 or they will accept codes for 2.0.2 only.

I am sure , many friends here.. would have passed through a stage like me.

How did you manage folks...?

Help Me... Guide Me..

Thanks

Rails 2 was not a massive change. Apart from things deprecated in 1.2 most things continue to work. Tutorials and so on were hit hard by the scaffolding changes, but that has no effect on your production code. Other than getting the plugins for the extracted features I made practically no code changes when moving my apps to 2.0 (of course there are a number of goodies that you app won't be using at this point, but you can adopt those at your own pace. Lastly, if you freeze rails into your app then it should matter what the hosting company has installed.

Fred

I wouldn't recommend any book that teaches outdated idioms, even if they might still work for some time. Nobody should learn pre-REST routes any more. It's just confusing. Also many of the early books show a terrible unrubyish coding style.

When I started out with Rails there were no good books available. So I read blogs instead of books. It worked.

Web Reservoir wrote:

I have been waiting for good books on rails 2.0.2, but unfortunately it seems very far.

I am not willing to wait more for new books to arrive. I would rather start reading with proven books for rails 1.2.

I started with 1.2 using the Agile Web Development with Rails. There's a new version being worked on available as a PDF until the final paper version is ready. So you could start there.

Also, The Rails Way covers 1.2 vs 2.0 in its text. It's a good complement to the AWDWR book being more in depth in many places. I consider AWDWR a tutorial, where The Rails Way is more reference-ish.

Also, peepcode.com has a Rails 2.0 PDF which explains the new stuff and some 1.2 vs 2.0 things.

With the above, you should be in a good starting position.

I recently ran a trial test of 2.0 with one of my more complex 1.2 apps, and only ran into one snag with a deprecated syntax for Model.count.

-- gw

This is causing a nightmare for me ..because I cannot go back to Rails v 1.2.3 without ending up in dependency hell. I have tried completey removing 2.X and installing 1.2.3 , but then it says it needs to update gems and updates gems , and then I end up with some other version of rails with all these missing dependencies.

Baxter Baxter wrote:

This is causing a nightmare for me ..because I cannot go back to Rails v 1.2.3 without ending up in dependency hell. I have tried completey removing 2.X and installing 1.2.3 , but then it says it needs to update gems and updates gems , and then I end up with some other version of rails with all these missing dependencies.

So ..in my haste., with this situation , I went back to the package manager and reinstalled rails 2.0 , which brought me back to a working rails again, but I cannot using the tutorial book I am using on RailsSpace because its all written for 1.2.3, and even more so, The web host I will eventually deploy the final app on is using the latest version of Ruby too, so I will eventually have to convert all my files to 2.0X

Can anyone tell me how I can do this ? what changes do I need to make in code ? ect.