Web server

Just have a small question especially I'm new to RoR and web programming. When we say that the application runs on a web server. Does that mean for example when I run my application at: http://localhost:3000, the web server is my local machine?

And, since a server is a bundle of HW + SW, what is the SW part of the server?

Is it only "Mongrel"?

Can you kindly explain what exactly is a web server?

Thanks.

Just have a small question especially I'm new to RoR and web programming. When we say that the application runs on a web server. Does that mean for example when I run my application at: http://localhost:3000, the web server is my local machine?

Yes.

And, since a server is a bundle of HW + SW, what is the SW part of the server?

Is it only "Mongrel"?

If that's what you have installed and are using, yes.

Can you kindly explain what exactly is a web server?

You could google 'what is a web server?' for some existing answers :slight_smile:

The web server simply looks at the information you submit ( a page for example) and routes it to the proper destination in rails. With me it's frequently error pages though.

Rails comes with a web server named webrick which works nicely enough for learning about Rails. Mongrel is a separate, higher performance web server that you can install via gem.

Keep plugging away at it with sample apps untill you feel confident enough to write something of your own.

And - don't stop asking questions

Bb Serviss wrote:

The web server simply looks at the information you submit ( a page for example) and routes it to the proper destination in rails. With me it's frequently error pages though.

Rails comes with a web server named webrick which works nicely enough for learning about Rails. Mongrel is a separate, higher performance web server that you can install via gem.

Keep plugging away at it with sample apps untill you feel confident enough to write something of your own.

And - don't stop asking questions

Bb Serviss,

Thanks so much. I appreciate your nice reply.