A totally free linux (Mint based) VirtualBox image, fully configured, with :

• Ruby 1.8.7, RubyGem, Rails 2.3.5 and dependencies, several useful gems
  • Mongrel & Thin Rails servers
  • MySQL 5 (with phpMyAdmin)
  • ImageMagick, Xapian
  • Netbeans 6.8
  • A lot more, see the complete list of features here

Why ?

• Don’t spend hours installing and configuring libs and tools, just launch it and be productive immediately
  • Simply paste it on all the computers of your team to get a complete unified development environment in no time
  • Run the exactly same development environment on MS Windows, Mac OS, Linux etc…
  • Run it on your MS Windows desktop just like any other application, and get rid of the Windows Ruby VM and libraries compiling drawbacks
  • Use the same computer for multiple purposes just by switching between the virtualbox images
  • Don’t be affraid to break your environment by trying some libs or tools…back to fresh install in two clics
  • Just one single file to save for complete backup of your entire development platform
  • Extend/modify it to fit your needs. It’s completely open and connected (“apt-get install” and “gem install” work like a charm)

How ?

1. Download & Install VirtualBox, it’s free, quick and really easy. Instructions can be found here
  2. Download the Virtual Rails image
  3. Install it within VirtualBox. It takes only 5 min, see instructions here
  4. Run Virtual Rails…you’re done ! see here to take a tour

Who ?

Whe’re Capslog-Informatique, a small French IT Service firm based on Bordeaux.

We help our clients to successfully complete their Java-J2EE or Ruby on Rails projets, and build inovatives web-sites for small business compagnies.

I've been very happy using the TurnkeyRails VM (Ruby on Rails | TurnKey GNU/Linux) which has a very small footprint. I use the IDE on my local machine to connect to the VM data through shared folders.

But if anyone has an opportunity to try out this Mint-based machine, I'd be keen to hear reports - particularly if they're linux-gurus who can dig into the internals :slight_smile:

the new virtualrails 1.1 now includes git, mongodb, capistrano, ack, vim, and an improved US keyboard support :slight_smile:

check it at http://www.virtualrails.org

Nice, support + 1~~~~~

I downloaded this, but it looks like it

doesn’t support vmware workstation.

Is there, by chance, a version that does?

Thanks!

Bryan

Yes i download this , installation works fine , but keyboard was not working well ... I press something and get something else

is there any solution for this...

Ali Imran wrote:

Yes i download this , installation works fine , but keyboard was not working well ... I press something and get something else

is there any solution for this...

Hi again Ali, thanks for your help !

if your keyboard layout is correctly configured in virtualrails, this is a strange bug that you're the first to face :slight_smile:

can you tell me what is the model of your laptop, and what is your usual keyboard layout please ?

we have to investigate on this if someone else is facing the same issue, please let me know

Jérôme Fillioux www.virtualrails.org

Bryan Jarvis wrote:

I downloaded this, but it looks like it<br> doesn't support vmware workstation.<br> Is there, by chance, a version that does?<br> Thanks!<br> Bryan<br>

Hi Bryan,

i'm affraid we don't plan offering virtualrails on vmware at this time.

why don't you give a try to virtualbox, it is free, easy to install and use, performant and relyable :slight_smile: http://www.virtualbox.org/

I am getting possibly the same keyboard error as Ali. When I press / I get ! and q and a are swapped. Most of the keys are correct though. I am using a standard US layout keyboard on a windows 7 host. Is there a mailing list or forum for VirtualRails so we don't pollute the rails list with support messages?

Dieter Lunn

Dieter Lunn wrote:

I am getting possibly the same keyboard error as Ali. When I press / I get ! and q and a are swapped. Most of the keys are correct though. I am using a standard US layout keyboard on a windows 7 host. Is there a mailing list or forum for VirtualRails so we don't pollute the rails list with support messages?

Dieter Lunn http://www.coder2000.ca

there is no support list or forum at the moment, you can write mails directly to virtualrails@capslog-informatique.fr

for your issue, the solution is rather simple :

VirtualRails 1.1 : click on the main menu (at the left bottom of the desktop), go to "preferences", then "keyboard". clic the "layouts" tab, and there remove all layouts but the US one (i.e remove "france alternative")(yes, we are french ;p)

VirtualRails 1.0 : click on the main menu (at the left bottom of the desktop), go to "preferences", then "keyboard". clic the "layouts" tab, and there remove all layouts. Then click the "add..." button, and choose the proper layout, either by language or by state. For US users, It might be "United States" + "USA"

hope it helps I imagined that setting the USA layout being the default one would do the trick, but it seems the french one still hang the priority, until it is removed :slight_smile:

It works now. Thanks.

Dieter Lunn