I am pretty new to Rails. But i have to admit, getting started with Rails is one of hardest thing that i have ever come across! Not matter what i do, i face one issue after the other, and i have posted my issues on some other forums with little or no help. So i thought i would be detailed and precise in what i did and let you guys know step by step of what i did. So its gonna be a long one!
1. Downloaded the Ruby 1.9.3 exe file and installed it in C:\Ruby193. This is the only part which i can do without trouble!!
2. I installed the latest rdoc gem, because in previous attempts it was causing a lot of problems.
3. Ran command "gem install rails". It did what it had to do and then gave this:
[code]ERROR: While generating documentation for activesupport-3.1.3 ... MESSAGE: error generating ActiveSupport/Inflector.html: incompatible encoding regexp match (UTF-8 regexp with IBM437 string) (Encoding::Compatib ilityError) ... RDOC args: --op C:/Ruby193/doc/activesupport-3.1.3/rdoc lib --title activesupport-3.1.3 Documentation --quiet[/code]
4. After some Googling found a solution and did chcp 1251 and the executed the command "gem install rails". This time it did install, the rails 3.1.3 gem properly.
5. Ran rails -v and it executed properly.
6. Created my own folder "railscode" for my rails codes.
7. Ran "rails new sample_app -T". I am learning from this website:
Got an exception:
[code]Please update your PATH to include build tools or download the DevKit from 'Downloads’ and follow the instructions at 'http://github.com/oneclick/rubyinstaller/wiki/Development-Kit’ An error occured while installing json (1.6.1), and Bundler cannot continue. Make sure that `gem install json -v '1.6.1'` succeeds before bundling.[/code]
8. After that I Googled and ran DevKit from GitHub. Did as told and created a new sample_app rails application. This time without the issues.
9. I went into sample_app folder, ran "rails s" and got this exception:
[code]C:/Ruby193/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `require': cannot load such file -- set (LoadError) from C:/Ruby193/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `require' from C:/Ruby193/gems/bundler-1.0.21/lib/bundler/resolver.rb:1:in `<top (required)>' from C:/Ruby193/gems/bundler-1.0.21/lib/bundler/definition.rb:151:in `resolve' from C:/Ruby193/gems/bundler-1.0.21/lib/bundler/definition.rb:90:in `specs' from C:/Ruby193/gems/bundler-1.0.21/lib/bundler/definition.rb:135:in `specs_for' from C:/Ruby193/gems/bundler-1.0.21/lib/bundler/definition.rb:124:in `requested_specs' from C:/Ruby193/gems/bundler-1.0.21/lib/bundler/environment.rb:23:in `requested_specs' from C:/Ruby193/gems/bundler-1.0.21/lib/bundler/runtime.rb:11:in `setup' from C:/Ruby193/gems/bundler-1.0.21/lib/bundler.rb:110:in `setup' from C:/Ruby193/gems/bundler-1.0.21/lib/bundler/setup.rb:7:in `<top (required)>' from C:/Ruby193/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/custom_require.rb:59:in `require' from C:/Ruby193/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/custom_require.rb:59:in `rescue in require' from C:/Ruby193/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/custom_require.rb:35:in `require' from C:/railscode/sample_app/config/boot.rb:6:in `<top (required)>' from C:/Ruby193/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `require' from C:/Ruby193/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `require' from script/rails:5:in `<main>'[/code]
Now please someone tell me where i went wrong. I am trying this for the past 3 days and with little to zero help, i am at a loss! This is the my last attempt!