I am pretty new to Rails. But i have to admit, getting started with
Rails is one of hardest thing that i have ever come across! Not matter
what i do, i face one issue after the other, and i have posted my issues
on some other forums with little or no help. So i thought i would be
detailed and precise in what i did and let you guys know step by step of
what i did. So its gonna be a long one!
1. Downloaded the Ruby 1.9.3 exe file and installed it in C:\Ruby193.
This is the only part which i can do without trouble!!
2. I installed the latest rdoc gem, because in previous attempts it was
causing a lot of problems.
3. Ran command "gem install rails". It did what it had to do and then
[code]ERROR: While generating documentation for activesupport-3.1.3
... MESSAGE: error generating ActiveSupport/Inflector.html:
incompatible encoding regexp match (UTF-8 regexp with IBM437 string)
... RDOC args: --op C:/Ruby193/doc/activesupport-3.1.3/rdoc lib --title
activesupport-3.1.3 Documentation --quiet[/code]
4. After some Googling found a solution and did chcp 1251 and the
executed the command "gem install rails". This time it did install, the
rails 3.1.3 gem properly.
5. Ran rails -v and it executed properly.
6. Created my own folder "railscode" for my rails codes.
7. Ran "rails new sample_app -T". I am learning from this website:
Got an exception:
[code]Please update your PATH to include build tools or download the
from ‘http://rubyinstaller.org/downloads’ and follow the instructions
An error occured while installing json (1.6.1), and Bundler cannot
Make sure that `gem install json -v ‘1.6.1’` succeeds before
8. After that I Googled and ran DevKit from GitHub. Did as told and
created a new sample_app rails application. This time without the
9. I went into sample_app folder, ran "rails s" and got this exception:
`require': cannot load such file -- set (LoadError)
`rescue in require'
from C:/railscode/sample_app/config/boot.rb:6:in `<top
from script/rails:5:in `<main>'[/code]
Now please someone tell me where i went wrong. I am trying this for the
past 3 days and with little to zero help, i am at a loss! This is the my