VIRTUAL RAILS>>STILL LEARNING

I am running windows vista on my lap top. I installed virtual box and virtual rails on this laptop and it is running linux. I am very new at learning rails. So far the only thing I have done is create a blog application by typing in: mkdir rails_projects cd rails_projects rails first_app

so now im at the point where I am typing the following: 1. rails blog 2. cd blog 3. script server

after this I go to my web server and type in localhost/3000, after doing this I click the link that says "about your applications environment". When I click this I get an error message saying "we're sorry, but something went wrong" Is this because I dont have a data base running like SQlite? I typed sqlite into the terminal and it tells me what version I have so Im assuming that its installed. Where do I go from here? Im very much a novice at this point and any feedback would be appreciated.

Hi Rich,

It would help if you told us which Linux distribution you are using. But in order to use Sqlite with Ruby on Rails, you need version Sqlite 3. You should also install the Sqlite3 development libraries for your Linux distribution. You shouldn't also forget to install the development tools so that your gems can be compiled against the development libraries. Finally, you should install the sqlite3-ruby gem with the command [sudo] gem install sqlite3-ruby.

You can search Google on how to setup Rails on your Linux distribution, and if you do find some issues, then come back to us telling us which Linux distribution you are using and the problems you are facing.

Regards,

Fidel.

Fidel,

Thanks for your reply. I am using Linux Mint. does that sound right? I dont know how to look up what linux distribution I have installed. Also I typed in sqlite3 in my terminal and i got back SQLite version 3.6.16. How do I install sqlite3 development libraries?

Hi Rich,

You're perfectly rigth with mint, since it's 100% based on ubuntu, all ubuntu recipes will work with mint.

that being said, sounds to me that you need to create the sqlite database instance that is related to your project

an important step in your rails learning will be to learn to find and understand the log files. the error message you have in your browser is for the end users more explicit and detailed informations are located in the RAILS_PROJECT/log/development.log file

you can edit it with gedit, or use the following command lines : "more development.log" : see the whole file, step by step "cat development.log" : go directly at the end of the file

maybe you can find your error int this log file and paste it here so we can help you to fix the problem :slight_smile:

Where

do I go from here? Im very much a novice at this point and any feedback would be appreciated.

You have not created a DB or configured your application to use one (Sqlite is installed, as you're using the VirtuaRails VM).

Continue following the tutorials. There are loads of resources (from the "Agile Web Development with Rails" book, to the RailsGuides at http://guides.rubyonrails.org/ and more). They take you through step-by-step, and if you get stuck at any point, you can point us the the page/url and we can see exactly what you were supposed to be trying.