Errors while installing sqlite3 for Rails

Hello Boys and Girls, I don’t know where this item belong. I am posting it on both, Ruby and Rails forums.

ruby -v

ruby 1.9.2p180 (2011-02-18 revision 30909) [x86_64-linux]

rails -v

Rails 3.1.0 Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation release 6.0 (Santiago) (64bit) I just installed Rails 3.1.0 as described on: http://guides.rubyonrails.org/getting_started.html One of the step while trying to create my first project was to: Creating the Database $rake db:create (in /opt/rails_3.1.0/Code/Ruby/blog) Could not find gem ‘sqlite3 (>= 0)’ in any of the gem sources listed in your Gemfile. So, I assumed that sqlite3 was not installed. I proceeded to make several attempts to get sqlite3 installed but got errors. I also tried installing sqlite3-devel as suggested below by the error messages, but got errors.

gem install sqlite3

Building native extensions. This could take a while… /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/ext/builder.rb:48: warning: Insecure world writable dir /usr/local/shoes in PATH, mode 040777

ERROR: Error installing sqlite3: ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

/usr/local/bin/ruby extconf.rb

checking for sqlite3.h… no sqlite3.h is missing. Try ‘port install sqlite3 +universal’

or ‘yum install sqlite3-devel’ and check your shared library search path (the location where your sqlite3 shared library is located). *** extconf.rb failed *** Could not create Makefile due to some reason, probably lack of

necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more details. You may need configuration options.

Provided configuration options: –with-opt-dir –without-opt-dir –with-opt-include

--without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include
--with-opt-lib
--without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/lib
--with-make-prog
--without-make-prog
--srcdir=.
--curdir
--ruby=/usr/local/bin/ruby

--with-sqlite3-dir
--without-sqlite3-dir
--with-sqlite3-include
--without-sqlite3-include=${sqlite3-dir}/include
--with-sqlite3-lib
--without-sqlite3-lib=${sqlite3-dir}/lib
--enable-local

--disable-local

Gem files will remain installed in /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/sqlite3-1.3.4 for inspection. Results logged to /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/sqlite3-1.3.4/ext/sqlite3/gem_make.out

Any help will be apprecited

Thank you

Try changing to ruby 1.9.2 as 1.9.1is not usable with rails 3.1

Hello Boys and Girls,

I don't know where this item belong. I am posting it on both, Ruby and Rails forums.

# ruby -v ruby 1.9.2p180 (2011-02-18 revision 30909) [x86_64-linux]

# rails -v Rails 3.1.0

Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation release 6.0 (Santiago) (64bit)

I just installed Rails 3.1.0 as described on: Getting Started with Rails — Ruby on Rails Guides One of the step while trying to create my first project was to: Creating the Database

$rake db:create (in /opt/rails_3.1.0/Code/Ruby/blog) Could not find gem 'sqlite3 (>= 0)' in any of the gem sources listed in your Gemfile.

So, I assumed that sqlite3 was not installed. I proceeded to make several attempts to get sqlite3 installed but got errors. I also tried installing sqlite3-devel as suggested below by the error messages, but got errors.

# gem install sqlite3 Building native extensions. This could take a while... /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/ext/builder.rb:48: warning: Insecure world writable dir /usr/local/shoes in PATH, mode 040777 ERROR: Error installing sqlite3: ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

/usr/local/bin/ruby extconf\.rb

checking for sqlite3.h... no

This is telling you don't have the development files for sqlite installed.

sqlite3.h is missing. Try 'port install sqlite3 +universal' or 'yum install sqlite3-devel' and check your shared library search path

This is suggesting you what packages to install, depending on the platform you are.

Hope it helps.

Please see my post. I tried everything that was suggested by those messages.

Please see my post. I tried everything that was suggested by those messages.

You may have tried them, but your original post does not say that you followed the instructions "Try 'port install sqlite3 +universal' or 'yum install sqlite3-devel' and check your shared library search path (the location where your sqlite3 shared library is located)."

Or what the result was

Colin

*** extconf.rb failed ***

I’m sorry, I thought I said on my post that I tried the suggestion from the failure messages. Anyway, this is what I got: port install sqlite3 +universal Command not found. yum install sqlite3-devel Setting up Install Process No package sqlite3-devel available. Error: Nothing to do

As I said before, I am running Redhat 6.1 64bit.

This is frustrating.

Thank you

I don't know much about redhat but googling for install sqlite-devel redhat gave a number of hits including http://www.sheepguardingllama.com/2008/11/installing-ruby-sqlite3-on-red-hat-or-centos-linux/ That or one of the others may be helpful

Colin

I’m sorry, I thought I said on my post that I tried the suggestion from the

failure messages.

Anyway, this is what I got:

port install sqlite3 +universal

Command not found.

yum install sqlite3-devel

Setting up Install Process

No package sqlite3-devel available.

Error: Nothing to do

As I said before, I am running Redhat 6.1 64bit.

I don’t know much about redhat but googling for

install sqlite-devel redhat

gave a number of hits including

http://www.sheepguardingllama.com/2008/11/installing-ruby-sqlite3-on-red-hat-or-centos-linux/

That or one of the others may be helpful

Colin, the link you gave me helped install sqlite3. That’s fine. However, it looks like Rails is still looking for more dependencies, which I already installed, except that I hit one which I can’t see how to address it.

The execjs wants a javascript runtime. I installed at least three suggested ones: ExecJS supports these runtimes:

and I am still having the same error messages, which I am posting below.

I am truly sorry to bother you but I hit a wall. Also, I am not sure why Rails does not load everything it needs. It already loads a large number of pre-reqs.

Thank you

rake db:create

(in /opt/rails_3.1.0/Code/Ruby/blog) rake aborted! Could not find a JavaScript runtime. See https://github.com/sstephenson/execjs for a list of available runtimes.

/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/execjs-1.2.9/lib/execjs/runtimes.rb:47:in autodetect' /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/execjs-1.2.9/lib/execjs.rb:5:in module:ExecJS’ /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/execjs-1.2.9/lib/execjs.rb:4:in `<top (required)>’

/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/coffee-script-2.2.0/lib/coffee_script.rb:1:in require' /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/coffee-script-2.2.0/lib/coffee_script.rb:1:in <top (required)>’ /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/coffee-script-2.2.0/lib/coffee-script.rb:1:in `require’

/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/coffee-script-2.2.0/lib/coffee-script.rb:1:in <top (required)>' /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/coffee-rails-3.1.1/lib/coffee-rails.rb:1:in require’ /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/coffee-rails-3.1.1/lib/coffee-rails.rb:1:in `<top (required)>’

/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/bundler-1.0.13/lib/bundler/runtime.rb:68:in require' /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/bundler-1.0.13/lib/bundler/runtime.rb:68:in block (2 levels) in require’ /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/bundler-1.0.13/lib/bundler/runtime.rb:66:in `each’

/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/bundler-1.0.13/lib/bundler/runtime.rb:66:in block in require' /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/bundler-1.0.13/lib/bundler/runtime.rb:55:in each’ /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/bundler-1.0.13/lib/bundler/runtime.rb:55:in `require’

/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/bundler-1.0.13/lib/bundler.rb:120:in require' /opt/rails_3.1.0/Code/Ruby/blog/config/application.rb:7:in <top (required)>’ internal:lib/rubygems/custom_require:29:in `require’

internal:lib/rubygems/custom_require:29:in require' /opt/rails_3.1.0/Code/Ruby/blog/Rakefile:5:in <top (required)>’ /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rake.rb:2373:in load' /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rake.rb:2373:in raw_load_rakefile’

/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rake.rb:2007:in block in load_rakefile' /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rake.rb:2058:in standard_exception_handling’ /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rake.rb:2006:in load_rakefile' /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rake.rb:1991:in run’

/usr/local/bin/rake:31:in `’ blog]#

> I'm sorry, I thought I said on my post that I tried the suggestion from > the > failure messages. > Anyway, this is what I got: > > port install sqlite3 +universal > Command not found. > > yum install sqlite3-devel > Setting up Install Process > No package sqlite3-devel available. > Error: Nothing to do > > As I said before, I am running Redhat 6.1 64bit.

I don't know much about redhat but googling for install sqlite-devel redhat gave a number of hits including

Installing ruby-sqlite3 on Red Hat or CentOS Linux – Sheep Guarding Llama That or one of the others may be helpful

Colin, the link you gave me helped install sqlite3. That's fine. However, it looks like Rails is still looking for more dependencies, which I already installed, except that I hit one which I can't see how to address it. The execjs wants a javascript runtime. I installed at least three suggested ones:

Are those on your path? I mean, the executable for those runtimes. Can you just run $ node for example?

Leonardo, Yes, the executable are on my path. However, you suggested to type node, which was the only one I had not installed. I downloaded and built node and now I am past that issue.

However, NOW I have other issues. This is like pulling teeth. If I did not want to learn Rails so badly, I would drop this altogether.

This is what I am getting now:

rake db:create

(in /opt/rails_3.1.0/Code/Ruby/blog) rake aborted! uninitialized constant Rake::DSL /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rake.rb:2482:in const_missing' /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.9.2/lib/rake/tasklib.rb:8:in class:TaskLib’ /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.9.2/lib/rake/tasklib.rb:6:in <module:Rake>' /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.9.2/lib/rake/tasklib.rb:3:in <top (required)>’ /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.9.2/lib/rake/testtask.rb:4:in require' /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.9.2/lib/rake/testtask.rb:4:in <top (required)>’ /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/railties-3.1.0/lib/rails/test_unit/testing.rake:2:in require' /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/railties-3.1.0/lib/rails/test_unit/testing.rake:2:in <top (required)>’ /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/railties-3.1.0/lib/rails/test_unit/railtie.rb:12:in load' /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/railties-3.1.0/lib/rails/test_unit/railtie.rb:12:in block in class:TestUnitRailtie’ /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/railties-3.1.0/lib/rails/railtie.rb:183:in call' /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/railties-3.1.0/lib/rails/railtie.rb:183:in block in load_tasks’ /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/railties-3.1.0/lib/rails/railtie.rb:183:in each' /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/railties-3.1.0/lib/rails/railtie.rb:183:in load_tasks’ /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/railties-3.1.0/lib/rails/engine.rb:395:in block in load_tasks' /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/railties-3.1.0/lib/rails/application/railties.rb:8:in each’ /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/railties-3.1.0/lib/rails/application/railties.rb:8:in all' /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/railties-3.1.0/lib/rails/engine.rb:395:in load_tasks’ /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/railties-3.1.0/lib/rails/application.rb:99:in load_tasks' /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/railties-3.1.0/lib/rails/railtie/configurable.rb:30:in method_missing’ /opt/rails_3.1.0/Code/Ruby/blog/Rakefile:7:in <top (required)>' /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rake.rb:2373:in load’ /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rake.rb:2373:in raw_load_rakefile' /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rake.rb:2007:in block in load_rakefile’ /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rake.rb:2058:in standard_exception_handling' /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rake.rb:2006:in load_rakefile’ /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rake.rb:1991:in run' /usr/local/bin/rake:31:in

I downloaded rake-0.9.2 and I was able to create the DB: rake db:create. Now, let me see what else I will find.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help.