Very Stuck

Ok I have been trying to get started with Ruby on Rails and I want to tie it together with a mysql database. I have been using the examples in teh Agile Web Developkent with Rails, which has you setup the database.yml file and run rake db:migrate to make sure you can connect.

Well this all works great.

Next you create a model using script/generate model Account

Once this is created if you run rake db:migrate it will fail. Giving you an unitialized constant CreateAccount error.

After doing some research online it appears the the file that is generated is named wrong and that is much exactly match the name of the class definition inside the migration file. The generated file is 001_create_accounts.rb

/************ Migration File 001_create_accounts.rb class CreateAccounts < ActiveRecord::Migration   def self.up     create_table :accounts do |t|     end   end

def self.down     drop_table :accounts   end end

/*************************

I renamed the file to 001_CreateAccounts.rb, however now I get this :

vincent-cordaros-computer:~/Development/WorkSpace/rails/mymeetingstone Storm$ rake db:migrate -- trace (in /Users/Storm/Development/WorkSpace/rails/mymeetingstone)

Vince wrote:

Ok I have been trying to get started with Ruby on Rails and I want to tie it together with a mysql database. I have been using the examples in teh Agile Web Developkent with Rails, which has you setup the database.yml file and run rake db:migrate to make sure you can connect.

Well this all works great.

Next you create a model using script/generate model Account

Once this is created if you run rake db:migrate it will fail. Giving you an unitialized constant CreateAccount error.

After doing some research online it appears the the file that is generated is named wrong and that is much exactly match the name of the class definition inside the migration file. The generated file is 001_create_accounts.rb

/************ Migration File 001_create_accounts.rb class CreateAccounts < ActiveRecord::Migration   def self.up     create_table :accounts do |t|     end   end

def self.down     drop_table :accounts   end end

/*************************   

The generated filename is correct, and it looks right to me. My first suspicion was that you were migrating an empty table, but I just tried and that works for me. The error you're getting doesn't really suggest a DB problem to me, it suggests some other problem with your rails setup. How did you install Rails? following the instructions at rubyonrails.org? or are you using Instant Rails? Or if you're on linux, did you use a package manager?

Once you migrate the db(rake db:migrate), you can't rename the migration or add anything to it. You have to generate a new migration, script/generate model Accounts, then db:migrate and it should work.

jg wrote:

Once you migrate the db(rake db:migrate), you can't rename the migration or add anything to it. You have to generate a new migration, script/generate model Accounts, then db:migrate and it should work.

As I understand, he said it "failed" the first time, with an Uninitialized Constant error. The problem isn't trying to rename it after running it. The problem is trying to get it to run successfully the first time.