[URGENT] cannot continue my devs, big mess with Apple Snow Leopard !

I don't understand anymore what to do with SL .. .. I have an Apple Macbook 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo upgraded to SL 10.6

it should be a 64 architecture but cannot start kernel in 64 ... because of EFI32 :-(( $ ioreg -l -p IODeviceTree | grep firmware-abi     > > "firmware-abi" = <"EFI32">

current env : Rails 2.3.4 / ruby 1.8.7 (2008-08-11 patchlevel 72) [i686-darwin9.6.0] / MySQL 5.1.38 / Apache 2

I read some posts stating that all gems SHOULD be upgraded to 64bits and MySQL server too...

so I upgraded the MyQL server, and install a new mysql client gem (w 64 architecture...)

but running a previous app gives me an error

Status: 500 Internal Server Error   uninitialized constant MysqlCompat::MysqlRes

what actually should I do ? at least to continue my developments the way it was before this f..g upgrade from Apple ?

thanks for advices ...

Don't know about EFI32. I get the same exact response on my early 2007 MacPro with Snow.

Did you:      sudo env ARCHFLAGS="-arch x86_64" gem install mysql -- --with- mysql-config=/your_path_to/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql_config when installing mysql?

EFI32 means even if the architecture of the computer is 64bit (as is my MacBook ) you cannot boot 64bits kernel/extensions I don't really care about that... I reinstalled the old 32bit i386 mySQL version

my big concern is about compiling with the Snow Leopard XTools (ex: installing Ruby 1.9) or installing gems (like mysql..) , what will be the 'standard' output ? 32bits or 64 bits or boths .... when you build (./configure make make install) ... this is the mess created by Apple ...

Although the 32-bit kernel is run on a MacBook, that doesn't mean everything is 32-bit.

You want to install the 64-bit mysql (I installed from mysql.com), and reinstall the mysql gem for 64bit architecture.

That's what's working for me on a 2.16 Mhz late 2007 MacBook.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that while I am getting the same response to: # ioreg -l -p IODeviceTree | grep firmware-abi    > > "firmware-abi" = <"EFI32">

...my setup basically works fine with Snow Leopard. It required reinstalling the 64 bit mysql, as well as a great deal of reading and debugging.

Frankly, the only way to deal with these changes is to geek through it. In my case, I have hardware, the operating system, Phusion Passenger, Apache, Ruby, Ruby Gems, Rails, mySQL, assorted custom plugins and my own application, each with their own revision history and assorted baggage. I lost a hard drive a couple of days after Snow was released and had to go from a blank PC formatted disk to a working development environment in a few days; an adventure I'd rather not repeat, but it does suggest a possible answer: hard drives are cheap. If I ever decide to voluntarily make a major change in my application environment, why not just take out the hard drive that works and put in a new one? Then I can try any darn thing I want and not jeopardize (Leopardize?) my working system. Time Machine, here I come...

I half-agree on your comment...

my development environment was safe ... all recommandations on SL upgrades are done regarding 64-bits architecture which is the architecture aimed by Apple for the next OS generations... BUT at the presnet time some hardware are 64-bits but still EFI32 ... and NO recommandation at all about how to proceed for a safe upgrade ...

I discovered (alone. after 3 days tests, back forth..) that : - I should migrate to MySQL 64-bits (even with an EFI32) - I shoudl rebuild a mysql gem with x86_64 architecture (even with EFI32) but - build myself a Readline 6.0 lib as 5.2 version W Apple is wrong ! - build myself a iconv lib (same remark) - recompile Ruby with XCode3 for i386 architecture ( not x64 guess why.. ? )

Upgrading to SL was easy.. but I was upset because of no clear statement from Apple Dev or Support.. to Rails dev 'in-between' 32 and 64 architecture or Apple should NOT include Rails dev in their frameworks ...

it works now.. back to equivalent safe environment I had w 10.5

Kad Kerforn wrote: > this is the mess created by Apple ...

This is just an aside, but it drives me nuts when people blame OS vendors (Apple or anyone else) for "stopping" their development. As a developer it is YOUR responsibility to make sure you have a stable development platform. Nobody forced you to upgrade, possibly, the only machine that you have that is capable of getting your work done.

I had a full backup and ready to reverse my environment.... I was safe

Put in the effort, do the research, talk to others before you take the risk of stopping your development. There is no way that Apple has the time, nor the inclination, to test out every possible configuration of developer software available.

I did !.... and I don't expect Apple doing it, just making clear statements about their architectures 32 / 64 / 64w EFI32 .... I could not understand what needed to be 32 or 64.... that's all

exactly my situation... and I reached the same point.. it's up and running but tooks days to discover that w EFI32 I had to install MySQL 64 and build Ruby w i386 arch (not talking about Readline 6.0 and icon libs... to rebuild) ... I had a clone of my 10.5 dev env... ;-))) but I could not get rid from this upgrade !!! (big ego)

thanks done (discovered it at 2:00am) but clearly not so evident that EFI32 must install MySQL 64 , isn't it ?

but clearly not so evident that EFI32 must install MySQL 64 , isn't it ?

Why do you care about EFI so much? Even if it is EFI64 kernel will not boot SL into 64 bit mode by default (and for the good reason). Kernel being in 32bit mode does not prevent you from running apps in 64 bit mode, so advise to get 64bit build of MySQL and make sure your mysql extension is compiled for 64bit is a good one.

Regards, Rimantas

I feel your pain. Having switched from Windows to OS X I thought that such issues were behind me. I felt that Apple hid behinds their terms a little with this upgrade.

Whilst I agree with Robert Walker's comments on 'it's your responsibility' I still feel that Apple dropped the ball slightly on this one

The biggest issue I had was recovering data from my mysql data, in the end i couldn't and used a backup

I also had a lot of issues, but decided to use this as an excuse to re- build my machine (reverting back to my Windows mindset). With regard to Ruby development I carried out the following

I also have an EFI 32 machine

Left ruby as it was Installed the 64bit version of mysql ran the following for the mysql gem sudo env ARCHFLAGS="-arch x86_64" gem install mysql -- --with-mysql- config=/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql_config

If you are not doing a rebuild it is worth uninstalling and re- installing the following gems / apps ruby-debug ruby port image magic and rmagick

Once this was done all is well

I guess the moral of the tale is that OS's are complex beasts and Apple just like Microsoft are full of human beings; so backup before doing anything major

The sad thing is that I haven't really seen any improvements with Snow Leopard ....

MIchael www.itdashboard.co.uk

Thanks Michael... I've set it up now.. (don't worry I had a back on a clone disk.....!! just in case)

installed the MySQL 5.1.38 (x86_64) and gem mysql (x_86_64) all my gems are up and running now (rubygems 1.3.5, Rails 2.3.4, Ruby 1.8.7... I even installed Ruby 1.9 for testing purposes...)

my major concern (and reason of being upset..) was this non-info about 64-bits equipment with EFI32....!! it was not clear at all in all googled posts what to do in this case I could understand Apple not being concerned by non-Apple dev environment, but I am using it as a Unix dev machine (I also run a Linux server w Debian)

I feel your pain. Having switched from Windows to OS X I thought that such issues were behind me. I felt that Apple hid behinds their terms a little with this upgrade.

Whilst I agree with Robert Walker's comments on 'it's your responsibility' I still feel that Apple dropped the ball slightly on this one

The biggest issue I had was recovering data from my mysql data, in the end i couldn't and used a backup

you should have : 1- installed your new MySQL version 2- created a /etc/my.conf file with a single entry pointing to the old database files [mysqld] datadir=/usr/local/mysql-5.0.37-osx10.5-x86/data 3 tell your new MySQL server to upgrade the files : sudo mysql_upgrade -u root -p

and that's it... very useful each time you upgrade your MySQL version...

I also had a lot of issues, but decided to use this as an excuse to re- build my machine (reverting back to my Windows mindset). With regard to Ruby development I carried out the following

I also have an EFI 32 machine

Left ruby as it was Installed the 64bit version of mysql ran the following for the mysql gem sudo env ARCHFLAGS="-arch x86_64" gem install mysql -- --with-mysql- config=/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql_config

If you are not doing a rebuild it is worth uninstalling and re- installing the following gems / apps ruby-debug ruby port image magic and rmagick

Once this was done all is well

I guess the moral of the tale is that OS's are complex beasts and Apple just like Microsoft are full of human beings; so backup before doing anything major

The sad thing is that I haven't really seen any improvements with Snow Leopard ....

I guess we are running mostly in 32-bits... I hope Apple will unlock 64-bits kernel/extensions for us soon, w some new firmware ..... so full 64 should bring better performances....