after upgrade to Snow Leopard how to upgrade MySQL to version 5.1 ?

Finally I could solve the mess in my dev environment by reverting the MySQL folder to its original version (before upgrade) so I run Leopard but no upgrade of MySQL yet ...

present versions (all 32-bits as I cannot start kernel 64.. ) Rails 2.3.4 Ruby 1.8.7 MySQL-5.0.67 (libmysqlclient.1.5.dylib...)

gem mysql (2.7)

if I upgrade to MySQL-5.1.38 , I believe I have to modify my client .. I should I proceed ?

thanks for your advice

erwin

Why not just install mac ports and use the mysql-devel port ?

in all this mess, some posts also advise not to use ports.... maybe the best move is NOT to move until Apple clarify it.... MacBook w 64-bit architecture but EFI-32 should be allowed to boot w 64 kernel... some day (no technical reason to block it.... but who knows the reason

Finally I could solve the mess in my dev environment by reverting the MySQL folder to its original version (before upgrade) so I run Leopard but no upgrade of MySQL yet ...

present versions (all 32-bits as I cannot start kernel 64.. )

Not very relevant here but just because the kernel is 32bits doesn't mean that apps are - nearly everything defaults to a 32bit kernel apparently

Rails 2.3.4 Ruby 1.8.7 MySQL-5.0.67 (libmysqlclient.1.5.dylib...)

gem mysql (2.7)

if I upgrade to MySQL-5.1.38 , I believe I have to modify my client .. I should I proceed ?

The key thing is whether the version of mysql you install is the same architecture as the version of ruby you currently have.

Fred

Finally I could solve the mess in my dev environment by reverting the

MySQL folder to its original version (before upgrade) so I run

Leopard but no upgrade of MySQL yet …

present versions (all 32-bits as I cannot start kernel 64… )

Rails 2.3.4

Ruby 1.8.7

MySQL-5.0.67 (libmysqlclient.1.5.dylib…)

gem mysql (2.7)

if I upgrade to MySQL-5.1.38 , I believe I have to modify my client …

I should I proceed ?

thanks for your advice

erwin

The instructions upgrading MySQL are contained in the following post:

http://weblog.rubyonrails.org/2009/8/30/upgrading-to-snow-leopard

Good luck,

-Conrad

present versions (all 32-bits as I cannot start kernel 64.. )

Once again: you don't have to run kernel in 64bit mode to run apps in that mode. 32bit kernel runs 64 bit apps just fine. Ruby that comes with snow leopard is 64bit, so just get 64bit version of MySQL and compile mysql gem for the 64bit arch.

Regards, Rimantas