Uploads with FCKEditor

Hello everyone.

Since I've found very poor documentation about the rails FCKEditor plug-in and Easy-FCKEditor (which is a fork of the very same plug-in), I decided to bother you with my noobish questions.

I have this weird sensation that the image-uploading feature of FCKEditor isn't supposed to work magically, without some sort of server side preparation, but I have no idea about what to do to make it work.

Weirdly, when I try to upload an image it gives a message saying that the upload was successful, but fails to show the image (and the path that it inserts in the editor's 'text area' points to an unexistent uploads/images/ directory. I created this directory inside public, and I still can't make it upload the image).

Also, when I try to open the file browser it shows this message: "unknown error creating folder".

I'm kind of used to the abstraction level provided by rails and other upload plug-ins such as attachment_fu, so i know very little about how to deal with this.

Any help will be apreciated.

Thanks

(I'm trying it on my development enviroment, which uses rails 2.2.2, but I intent to use it in my mor.ph account when in production.)

It works. The error messages it spits back can be a little vague.

I found that I needed to change the following (my version is first)
due to the new changes in Rails/rack/etc.

155c142,143 < unless ['ActionController::UploadedStringIO',
'ActionController::UploadedTempfile', 'Tempfile', 'TempFile',
'StringIO'].include?(file.class.to_s)

I used fckeditor for some projects but I find that TinyMCE editor and rails plugin is better, for all my new rails projects now I'm using this plugin:

script/plugin install git://github.com/kete/tiny_mce.git

The upload mechanism does'nt exist but if you prepare a simple controller/view for your upload system, the integration is really simple...

For example with this simple javascript included into your page you can control image / link / multimedia upload, in my case I have:

<script type='text/javascript'>       var returnURL = "";       var browserWindow;       var browserFieldName;       function fileBrowserCallBack( field_name, url, type, win ){         if (type == "file") {           browserUrl = "/admin/files";         else if (type == "media") {           browserUrl = "/admin/medias";         } else {           browserUrl = "/admin/images";         }         window.open(browserUrl, '', 'width=800,height=400,scrollbars=yes');         browserWindow = win;         browserFieldName = field_name;       }

function browserReturn(url) {         browserWindow.document.forms[0].elements[browserFieldName].value = url;       }     </script>

Thank you for the feedback. I'll certainly try tinymce in a future project. It turns out someone on the net has figured out how to make easy- fckeditor work properly with rails 2.2.2, and with his advice, now it works in my project too. if anyone is having the same problems I was, just check this page: http://davidebenini.it/2009/03/23/patches-for-the-easy-fckeditor-rail