Uploading a file and working with 2 models

I have an app that engages physical files of several types. Each type has different metadata associated, so i've broken them out in different models. To keep thing simple, I'll just deal use images in my example.

I have an images table (with an Image model) that stores fuzzy info like title, description, rating, etc. The Image model belongs_to a Binary model that is backended by a binaries table with physical file metadata (name, extension, size, MIME Type, etc.). My Binary model is _only_ a model. There's no controller or set of views because I really want all interaction to occur through the typed model.

I have an Images controller with the relevant views and I'd like to accept an upload there, but then delegate to the Binary model for handling everything related to the physical file itself (uploading, extracting properties, saving to a new location, etc.). I can't seem to get that to work and my Ruby/Rails n00b-ness isn't helping me at all. :slight_smile: Some of my syntax may simply be incorrect - I'm struggling with the Ruby idioms, coming from a long history of C-style syntax. In many cases, I've tried several variations, but I'm just going to paste what I have now. In other cases, I'm including snippets of code that I've seen elsewhere, but don't completely understand yet (attr_accessor is a good example).

I'm hoping someone here can help point me in the right direction. The error that I'm currently getting is:

undefined method `original_path' for "online-resume-req.txt":String

It seems that the upload, in its entirely, is never making it to the server. I'm only getting the file name as a string. Code follows:

ImagesController::create()

def create     @image = Image.new(params[:image])     @binary = Binary.new

if ( @binary.upload(params[:image][:uploaded_file]) )       #do stuff     end end

views/images/_form.html.erb

<% form_for( @image, :multipart => true ) do |f| %>   <%= f.error_messages -%>

<p>     <%= label_tag( 'image_uploaded_file', 'File' ) -%>     <%= file_field( :image, :uploaded_file ) -%>   </p>   <p>     <%= f.label :name %>     <%= f.text_field :name %>   </p>   <p>     <%= f.label :description %>     <%= f.text_area( :description ) %>   </p>   <p><%= f.submit( 'Upload' ) %></p> <% end %>

Image model:

class Image < ActiveRecord::Base   belongs_to :binary

validates_presence_of( :uploaded_file )\

attr_accessor :uploaded_file end

Binary model

class Binary < ActiveRecord::Base   has_one :image

def upload(uploaded_file)     logger.info( 'Uploading: ' + uploaded_file.to_json )

self.name = uploaded_file.original_path     self.mime_type = uploaded_file.content_type     save_as = Rails.root.join( 'public', 'bin', '_tmp', uploaded_file.original_path )

File.open( save_as, 'w' ) do |file|       file.write( uploaded_file.read )     end

self.size = File.size( "#{save_as}" )

logger.info( 'Set file size to ' + self.size.to_s )

self.save

logger.info( 'Stored' );   end end

So I realized that somewhere along the way, I had altered my "form_for" call in such a way that it stopped posting the form in multipart. That's been corrected. The file is now being uploaded, but it's being written as a 0B file. That's what I was getting yesterday when I started making wholesale changes to figure out what was happening.

Any idea why my file.write() call is screwed up?

Thanks.