Ouch! Can't figure out this file upload issue...

Okay, so this is driving me crazy. I'm trying to do a file upload using code from a book.

What happens: I get wrong number of arguments (1 for 0) in the upload controller save action. No idea why.

Schema: The schema for the picture model object is just a textfield named comments and a binary field called data.

Upload controller:

def get     @picture =Picture.new   end

def save     @picture=Picture.new(params[:picture])     if @picture.save       redirect_to(:action=>'show', :id=> @picture.id)     else       render(:action=> :get)     end   end

def picture     @picture=Picture.find(params[:id])     send_data(@picture.data,               :filename=>@picture.name,               :type=>@picture.content_type,               :disposition=>"inline")   end

def show     @picture=Picture.find(params[:id])   end

Views: For Get-- <h1>Upload Image File</h1>

<% form_for(:picture,             :url=> {:action=>'save'},             :html=> { :multipart=> true}) do |f| %>

<%= f.error_messages %>

<p>     <%= f.label :comment %><br />     <%= f.text_area :comment %>   </p>   <p>

<%= f.file_field("uploaded_picture")%>   </p>   <p>     <%= f.submit "Create" %>   </p> <% end %>

Then there's a show view that's not really worth including, because it is standard and nowhere near the error.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Oh and the model code is:

class Picture < ActiveRecord::Base   validates_format_of :content_type,   :with=>/^image/,   :message=>'Uploading is limited to pictures'

def uploaded_picture=(picture_field)     self.name = base_part_of(picture_field.original_filename)     self.content_type = picture_field.content_type.chomp     self.data = picture.field.read   end

def base_part_of     File.basename(file_name).gsub(/[^\w._-]/,'')   end end

Ron wrote:

Oh and the model code is:

class Picture < ActiveRecord::Base   validates_format_of :content_type,   :with=>/^image/,   :message=>'Uploading is limited to pictures'

def uploaded_picture=(picture_field)     self.name = base_part_of(picture_field.original_filename)     self.content_type = picture_field.content_type.chomp     self.data = picture.field.read   end

def base_part_of     File.basename(file_name).gsub(/[^\w._-]/,'')   end end

Looks like this is the problem: self.name = base_part_of(picture_field.original_filename)

The function does not accept any arguments.

Hi,

So I'm following along with Agile Development with Rails, 2nd edition.

I got the code from pg. 503. I'm not saying this because I think its right--I'm just saying it because if it doesn't take an argument, I'm not sure how else to do it....

Ron

Ron wrote:

Hi,

So I'm following along with Agile Development with Rails, 2nd edition.

I got the code from pg. 503. I'm not saying this because I think its right--I'm just saying it because if it doesn't take an argument, I'm not sure how else to do it....

Ron

On Jun 14, 10:02 pm, Chris Olsen <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>

On page 503 the base_part_of function accepts a filename argument.

I think someone has had too much coffee :slight_smile:

I think you could be right about the coffee (although its green tea in my case), Chris. Just as an aside, do you know what disposition inline means under send_data on the upload controller?

Thanks for the help!

Ron

Ron wrote:

Just as an aside, do you know what disposition inline means under send_data on the upload controller?

The inline option is what allow the image to be rendered on the page rather than downloaded. If instead you set the disposition to "attachment" it should prompt you to save/open the file.

Thanks for the help!

Anytime :slight_smile:

Ah! That makes sense.

So my typo was behind the arguments issue...but now that it uploads it, there is a problem that 'picture' is an undefined local variable or method in the save action of the upload controller. I'm not sure why because I defined a picture method for in the picture model. Is it an issue of scope?

R

Whoops...I'm the world's worst typist. It turns out that it was just a typo in the model...picture.field instead of picture_field. Really need to drink fewer stimulants... Ron