Upgrading Ruby - will it affect Rails? - 1.8.6 to 1.9.1

Hi all,

I have a question regarding upgrading Ruby and how it may or may not affect rails. Other than rubygems and gem versions that my project will use (I know I have to check to make sure they will work with 1.9.1 on windows), will there be any issues upgrading that I might not be aware of?

And, if anyone here is using netbeans IDE, are you aware of any issues upgrading a rails project from one ruby platform to another?

Many thanks to any who answer and assist with these questions.

I'll make the leap on my vmware box and test it myself. No response necessary now.

One word, yes!

If you want to use Ruby 1.9 with Rails then you have to reinstall all the gems under Ruby 1.9 which is where you might get issues. Currently Ruby 1.9.1 and Rails 2.3.3 works fine but there are issues with some gems, please check out this website for more information about what users see http://isitruby19.com/

Hiya mate,

Yeah I'm not worried about gems in my project. A while back I wanted to set out and create my own windows compiled version of ruby. I ended up settling on Luis Lavena's one-click mingw sandbox 1.9.1 - 1.9.2 checkout instead. There were just too many libraries to compile to get ruby to work from source on windows.

So, I ended up finding all of the gems that work with windows and with ruby 1.9.1 and then cross-checked them on my linux distro to verify they work there too.

But, I wanted to use postgres over mysql so I made the leap to a lower version and was greatly disappointed with pg and foreign key handling. So, rather than waste time, I worked hard on developing my project and testing it and have reached a downtime point where I can go back to 1.9.1.

I just wanted to ensure that (other than gems) would I have any known issues swapping platforms and whether or not it will affect my rails project. I believe the answer to that is as you stated (gems and their dependencies) and also whether or not my IDE (netbeans) will be affected.

I'll find out by the end of today when I finish this porting up.

So,

The short answer is yes - Ruby 1.9.1 from 1.8.6 affects several things, the big ones being how scopes and controller calls to models work with scopes work. In addition, several ways that I manage arrays created errors so I'm in the mode of polishing them up.

I'm taking a friend's advice and just using 1.9.1 as a test platform for my project. 1.9.1 is not doable for production until I'm able to completely and thoroughly test all functionality with it. I'll probably make the permanent move next year some time.