I see a few elements that are somewhat postgresql - Rails specific
and may be relevant ?? Not sure how relevant, just my 2c.
- explain the difference between connecting via
host: localhost in the database.yml or via
socket) : it changes the authentication mechanism
(ref local => ident vs. host => md5). Maybe you
already explain the pg_hba.conf and you refer to
it from a Rails config/database.yml section.
- the usage of “port: 5433” (on Ubuntu, when
2 postgresql versions are installes in parallel (e.g.
8.3 and 8.4 on 10.04), they use ports 5432 and port
5433 but you need to know that and set the port to
5433 for the database.yml.
- using schema’s in postgresql seems non-trivial
to match with Rails (I have not used schema’s recently,
so I am not aware of recent solutions).
- Default Rails migrations do not generate foreign
key constraints. Explain when that would make
sense (not necessarily always) and if so, what
are proper ways to implement them (there exist
gems to do it properly).
- similar on indices and uniq indices. You could
explain when they do make sense (certrainly
not always) and if so, what are proper ways to
implement them in Rails. And how to properly
catch a uniqueness validation exception thrown
by the database in the Rails uniqueness
- you might discuss Sequel and DataMapper
as alternatives ?