Transferring old RoR site.... Problems.... sigh...

Hello all, new to Rails here and am in the process of transferring an existing rails site to a new server.

I've installed Rails 1.1.6 and Ruby 1.8.4 as well as mongrel and gems 0.8.10

The problem comes when I attempt to start mongrel by issuing the command

mongrel_rails start -d

I get the following error message:

** Ruby version is not up-to-date; loading cgi_multipart_eof_fix /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/bin/../lib/mongrel/gems.rb:12:in `require': undefined method `gem' for Mongrel::Gems:Module (NoMethodError)     from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/bin/../lib/mongrel.rb:355     from /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:18:in `require'     from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/bin/mongrel_rails:11     from /usr/local/bin/mongrel_rails:18

It seems to be telling me to update Ruby, however I'm afraid if I do that the app will not function properly.

I installed the most current version of Mongrel... perhaps I should install an older version? If so what version?

Also, I'm open to any ideas/suggestions/guidance you may be able to provide, thanks in advance!

Hello all, new to Rails here and am in the process of transferring an existing rails site to a new server.

I've installed Rails 1.1.6 and Ruby 1.8.4 as well as mongrel and gems 0.8.10

The problem comes when I attempt to start mongrel by issuing the command

mongrel_rails start -d

I get the following error message:

** Ruby version is not up-to-date; loading cgi_multipart_eof_fix /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/bin/../lib/mongrel/gems.rb: 12:in `require': undefined method `gem' for Mongrel::Gems:Module (NoMethodError)

That's a really really old version of rubygems, but quite a new version of mongrel. There used to be a method in rubygems called require_gem, but later on that was renamed to just gem, which mongrel is trying to call but which doesn't exist in your version of rubygems. If you do update rubygems then you'll probably run into the fact that your version of rails (or the boot.rb script in your app) is still using require_gem, but require_gem was eventually removed from rubygems. It should just be a matter of replacing calls to require_gem with calls to gem.

Fred

gem list mongrel --local

if you have more than one version installed, it'll be listed there. easiest thing to do seems to be to just uninstall your latest version that's giving you problems, then upgrading the app more gradually later.