Mongrel not playing nicely with older rails/ruby

I'm trying to transfer an older Rails project to a new server, never would have thought it would have taken me this long (first time with Ruby On Rails).

Anyways the site uses Ruby 1.8.4, Rails 1.1.6, gems 0.8.10

I installed Mongrel and Mongrel_Cluster and it prompted me for a version, I selected the newest.... Now when I try to start Mongrel I get this error:

** Ruby version is not up-to-date; loading cgi_multipart_eof_fix /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/bin/../lib/mongrel/ gems.rb:12:in `require': undefined method `gem' for Mongrel::Gems:Module (NoMethodError)   from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/bin/../lib/ mongrel.rb:355   from /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb: 18:in `require'   from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/bin/ mongrel_rails:11   from /usr/local/bin/mongrel_rails:18

I know my Ruby version is not up to date... but I don't think I want to update it for fear of the app not properly working. Should I install an older version of Mongrel...? If so,.... which version?

Thanks in advance for any guidance or assistance you may be able to provide.

rusty

Looks like what you need is a newer version of Rubygems and not ruby or mongrel. You can get the latest one here -> http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=126

Ok, now I get this...? Any clue as to what I'm missing?

** Starting Mongrel listening at 0.0.0.0:3000 ** Starting Rails with development environment ... /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:21:in `require__': no such file to load -- ruby-debug (MissingSourceFile)   from /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb: 21:in `require'   from /home/vhosts/dealer.benningtonmarine.com/config/../vendor/rails/ activerecord/lib/../../activesupport/lib/active_support/ dependencies.rb:147:in `require'   from /home/vhosts/dealer.benningtonmarine.com/config/environment.rb: 68   from /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb: 21:in `require'   from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-0.3.13.3/lib/mongrel/ rails.rb:144:in `rails'   from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-0.3.13.3/bin/ mongrel_rails:112:in `cloaker_'   from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-0.3.13.3/lib/ mongrel.rb:832:in `listener'   from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-0.3.13.3/bin/ mongrel_rails:96:in `cloaker_'   from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-0.3.13.3/lib/ mongrel.rb:750:in `initialize'   from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-0.3.13.3/bin/ mongrel_rails:83:in `run'   from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-0.3.13.3/lib/mongrel/ command.rb:199:in `run'   from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-0.3.13.3/bin/ mongrel_rails:235   from /usr/local/bin/mongrel_rails:18

Ok, now I get this...? Any clue as to what I'm missing?

that looks like your app is requiring ruby-debug but that the gem isn't installed

Fred