Error after Rails re-installation

I had a couple of rails projects underway in June/July when my Macbook died. Yesterday I finally reinstalled Ruby 1.8.6, Rails 1.2.3 and Mongrel -- I thought that these were all the same versions as before. If I create a new project everything is fine, but when I run script/ server in any of my older projects I get the following error:

ruby script/server => Booting Mongrel (use 'script/server webrick' to force WEBrick) => Rails application starting on http://0.0.0.0:3000 => Call with -d to detach => Ctrl-C to shutdown server ** Starting Mongrel listening at 0.0.0.0:3000 ** Starting Rails with development environment... Exiting /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.3/lib/initializer.rb: 328:in `send': undefined method `session=' for ActionController::Base:Class (NoMethodError)         from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.3/lib/ initializer.rb:328:in `initialize_framework_settings'         from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.3/lib/ initializer.rb:327:in `each'         from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.3/lib/ initializer.rb:327:in `initialize_framework_settings'         from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.3/lib/ initializer.rb:324:in `each'         from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.3/lib/ initializer.rb:324:in `initialize_framework_settings'         from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.3/lib/ initializer.rb:96:in `process'         from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.3/lib/ initializer.rb:43:in `send'         from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.3/lib/ initializer.rb:43:in `run'          ... 27 levels...         from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.3/lib/ commands/server.rb:39         from /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/ custom_require.rb:27:in `gem_original_require'         from /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/ custom_require.rb:27:in `require'         from script/server:3

I imagine that I did something silly, but I am too much of a newbie to understand what that might be. Any suggestions?? Thanks! Dan

dfrank86 wrote:

I had a couple of rails projects underway in June/July when my Macbook died. Yesterday I finally reinstalled Ruby 1.8.6, Rails 1.2.3 and Mongrel -- I thought that these were all the same versions as before. If I create a new project everything is fine, but when I run script/ server in any of my older projects I get the following error:

ruby script/server => Booting Mongrel (use 'script/server webrick' to force WEBrick) => Rails application starting on http://0.0.0.0:3000 => Call with -d to detach => Ctrl-C to shutdown server ** Starting Mongrel listening at 0.0.0.0:3000 ** Starting Rails with development environment... Exiting /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.3/lib/initializer.rb: 328:in `send': undefined method `session=' for ActionController::Base:Class (NoMethodError)         from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.3/lib/ initializer.rb:328:in `initialize_framework_settings'         from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.3/lib/ initializer.rb:327:in `each'         from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.3/lib/ initializer.rb:327:in `initialize_framework_settings'         from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.3/lib/ initializer.rb:324:in `each'         from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.3/lib/ initializer.rb:324:in `initialize_framework_settings'         from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.3/lib/ initializer.rb:96:in `process'         from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.3/lib/ initializer.rb:43:in `send'         from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.3/lib/ initializer.rb:43:in `run'          ... 27 levels...         from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.3/lib/ commands/server.rb:39         from /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/ custom_require.rb:27:in `gem_original_require'         from /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/ custom_require.rb:27:in `require'         from script/server:3

I imagine that I did something silly, but I am too much of a newbie to understand what that might be. Any suggestions?? Thanks! Dan

If you look at config/environment.rb in your older projects what is RAILS_GEM_VERSION set to?

If you look at config/environment.rb in your older projects what is RAILS_GEM_VERSION set to?

Thanks Michael,

Both old and new versions are set to '1.2.3'

One problem was solved by commenting out the config.action_controller.session block from the old config/ environment.rb. Now I can start mongrel and migrate my development database:

However, now I get a Status: 500 Internal Server Error and the following: Expected ./script/../config/../app/helpers/all_helper.rb to define AllHelper

Any ideas? I can probably create a new project and copy my files over, but I'm just curious about what is going wrong.

thanks -- Dan