mongrel startup error... confusion ensues... :) "HALP"

Howdy. I'm having a problem starting mongrel (script/server) on a sample project I got from a book code (RailsSpace, great book). I downloaded the entire project, updated database.yml to match my needs, and attempted to launch script/server.

From Googling, I guess that there's some problem with my gems vs what

this project is really expecting. But I have not a clue the proper way to find and solve the issue.

Here are my build details: ruby 1.8.6 (2007-03-13 patchlevel 0) [powerpc-darwin8.9.0] gem 0.9.2 rails 1.2.3

Thanks in advance for help. Michael

Here's what I got when trying to launch script/server:

Parked at Loopia (or see below)

01:19:06 : ~/work/rails_space $ script/server webrick => Booting WEBrick... /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.3/lib/commands/servers/ webrick.rb:11: warning: already initialized constant OPTIONS => Booting Mongrel (use 'script/server webrick' to force WEBrick) => Rails application starting on http://0.0.0.0:3000 => Call with -d to detach => Ctrl-C to shutdown server ** Starting Mongrel listening at 0.0.0.0:3000 ** Starting Rails with development environment... Exiting /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.3/lib/commands/servers/ mongrel.rb:15: warning: already initialized constant OPTIONS /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.3/lib/commands/servers/ mongrel.rb:18: undefined method `options' for :Array (NoMethodError)         from /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/ custom_require.rb:32:in `gem_original_require'         from /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/ custom_require.rb:32:in `require'         from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.2/lib/ active_support/dependencies.rb:495:in `require'         from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.2/lib/ active_support/dependencies.rb:342:in `new_constants_in'         from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.2/lib/ active_support/dependencies.rb:495:in `require'         from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.3/lib/ commands/server.rb:39         from /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/ custom_require.rb:32:in `gem_original_require'         from /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/ custom_require.rb:32:in `require'         from script/server:3

I have had this issue myself a few times. I have heard that it can be caused by out of date gems, but what those gems are is not clear. I have always been using edge rails at the time.

YMMV but the way that I got out of it was to upgrade all mongrel gems, and update edge rails to a new version (or one I know works)

HTH but I can’t say for sure.

Cheers Daniel