sumit_tag

hii all,            i don't know how to ask this question because am new to rails. but i want to know to is which part of code sumit_tag will take you means after execution of sumit_tag where control of programme goes??

Amit Tomar wrote:

Amit Tomar wrote:

hii all,            i don't know how to ask this question because am new to rails. but i want to know to is which part of code sumit_tag will take you means after execution of sumit_tag where control of programme goes??

Do you understand how HTML forms work in general? If so, the answer should be obvious (hint: the submit_tag has nothing to do with it); also look at form_for and form_tag.

If you don't understand how HTML forms work in general, then you're not ready to be developing Web applications yet. Read through a good HTML reference, then come back. Good luck!

Best,

Whilst I agree with Marnen, if you are using Rails as a way of learning about the whole concept of web applications and am therefore learning about html, css, javascript, SQL and Rails at the same time, then whilst working through an html reference and tutorials have a look at the Rails Guides at http://guides.rubyonrails.org/. Start with Getting Started obviously. Playing with Rails at the same time as learning the more tedious (but necessary) details of html will make your life more enjoyable.

Colin

A submit_tag goes inside a form, for example:

<%= form_tag :controller => 'votes', :action => 'create' do %> <%= submit_tag %> <% end %>

This generates HTML like:

<form action="/votes/create" method="post"> <input type="submit" value="Submit"> </form>

So when you press that submit button, your browser POSTs to the '/votes/create' URL.

When Rails receives that request, it turns the URL into a controller and an action, based on the rules in your config/routes.rb. In this case it goes to the action/method called 'create' in VotesController.

Chris