simple noob question about routes

Hi guys, I really thought I had this sorted, but I cant figure this out!

I'm building an app (ruby 1.9.3, rails 3.2.2).

The app has teams, and in my teams_controller I want to have a method called apply_to_coach_team, with a form that allows you to apply to coach a new team.

The problem is, every time I click the link to go to the form I get the message:

Couldn't find Team with id=apply_to_coach_team

The app seems to be going to the teams#show method, and looking for a team with the id above.

in routes.db I have:

match "/teams/apply_to_coach_team" => "teams#apply_to_coach_team", :as => :apply_to_coach_team

my teams_controller is just an empty method

def apply_to_coach_team

end

and my view is just a stub for now

<h1> apply to coach new team </h1>

My link to this page looks like this :

<%= link_to "apply to coach new team", apply_to_coach_team_path, class: "btn btn-mini btn-action" %>

Can anyone tell me what simple mistake I'm making please!??

Thanks in advance

Run "rake routes" from the command line to see what the system expects. Depending on the results from "rake routes", you probably need to change your link to call the path method differently. Maybe you need to call it passing in @team.id, or maybe the method should have a different name.

I got it!

For anyone else who's a bit rails rusty, and has forgotten this the route to the new method has to go BEFORE the other routes created by resources :teams

match "/teams/apply_to_coach_team" => "teams#apply_to_coach_team", :as => :apply_to_coach_team

resources :teams

This makes sense when I think about it!

You could also do:

resources :teams do member do get :action_which_acts_on_member end

collection do get :action_which_acts_on_collection end end

I find this cleaner, and this also generates named path helpers without requiring you to provide :as option.

Cheers for the help guys, the routes for members / the collection is interesting I'll need to read more about how these work, cheers