Ruby on Rails hosting

Hello all,

I'm in the market for a web host that supports Ruby on Rails. I've looked at Heroku, but really find them quite expensive. My budget is around $50-70 USD / month. And possibly on a VPS or semi-managed server.

Im a web dev and I'd like to focus at what I do best. I really don't have time for sys admin stuff. I'd like to have a server up and running to serve my web files why I work on web projects

So far, I am considering Knownhost and/or Wiredtree (which are also semi-fully managed web host providers).

Anyone have had any experience with other reliable web hosts, worth mentioning?

Some have suggested Linode. Although, this is a non-managed web host.

I’ve been using VPSs from Rimuhosting and Slicehost for years. Both are excellent, and have tons of help to get you up and running. A VPS is definitely a great way to go, and has proven far more reliable with hosting my rails apps than any turnkey service like Media Temple’s Rails Containers.

Plus, hosting Rails via Passenger these days really makes things a lot simpler for us non sysadmin-ninja types.

Good luck!

Matt

Christian Fazzini wrote:

Hello all,

I'm in the market for a web host that supports Ruby on Rails. I've looked at Heroku, but really find them quite expensive.

On what basis do you say that? Heroku is pretty cheap for what you get IMHO. And its free plan is one of the few such options for Rails.

My budget is around $50-70 USD / month. And possibly on a VPS or semi-managed server.

Heroku or Slicehost. Done.

Im a web dev and I'd like to focus at what I do best. I really don't have time for sys admin stuff. I'd like to have a server up and running to serve my web files why I work on web projects

So far, I am considering Knownhost and/or Wiredtree (which are also semi-fully managed web host providers).

Never heard of either one.

Anyone have had any experience with other reliable web hosts, worth mentioning?

Some have suggested Linode. Although, this is a non-managed web host.

Heroku is the only managed solution I know of that does Rails well. Otherwise, just set up a VPS at Slicehost or Linode. It's not terribly difficult, and Slicehost in particular has great documentation.

Best,

Hi,

I found an excellent tutorial about what to listen in Rails hosting: http://www.railshosting.org/ (for example Git, gems, versions, stuff should be also Rails developers, etc.).

Check these:

to compare them.

For your budget I suggest this: http://www.hostingrails.com/ it has many additional feature, whole you do not have to pay attention to sysadmin stuff, only developing itself. And easy tutorials how to deploy.

Let me know if you have further question, Good luck, gezope

Hi all,

I suggest Linode's non-managed, vps. Cost effective, reliable, good support. Went to it straight from managed/shared hosting, and never looked back. You should easily find blogposts for getting started on linode with rails.

good luck!