free ruby on rails hosting?

Hey,

does anyone know any free ror webspace? I don't wanna have my computer running 24/7 for some small websites.

Do yourself a huge favor and just pay for hosting. You'll be FAR happier in the end. I still recommend maybe picking up a cheap slice from Slicehost and having some fun setting up stuff.

Greg Donald wrote:

The issue with Ruby on Rails is that it is not simple a language, it really is a domain-specific language with its own requirements. Rails is a framework and so it does not follow the same sorts of setups as simply running PHP would.

I still recommend looking for a cheap VPS and rolling your own from there. I think you would be happier in the end.

It actually does allow the same setup now thanks to Passenger. Dreamhost is proof of that.

--Jeremy

Heinz,

Pay for a cheap Passenger host and you'll be happier in the end. Guaranteed!

Cheers, Sazima

You can use Heroku (http://heroku.com/). It's a free cloud hosting that works just fine.

You can use Heroku (http://heroku.com/). It's a free cloud hosting that works just fine.

Greg Donald wrote:

Hi…

Have u tried Heroku.com?

Regards Shyam +91-971-618-9650 shyam.heroku.com

Thanks, will try that!

Forums are here for people to ask questions.

Now you look like a douche every time someone searches for free RoR hosting.

Actually, I would have said that the forums were for people to get answers, not much point asking a question if no-one is going to provide a useful answer.

I have found most of my questions answered by searching the forum and looking at responses to previous questions - so that mostly I have not had to ask the question myself. In fact I learned to use ruby on rails that way .

This forum used to excel in a) the quality of responses, depth and helpfulness AND b) politeness and patience.

Sadly these things seem to be getting eroded. It would be nice if we could keep to being polite and user friendly and provide responses that have useful content. Remember, if you give a helpful answer, you haven't solved just a single user's query, you have provided documentation for many others when the search the forum in the future. If you can't resist saying "read the docs" or "it has been answered in another post", then at least have the decency to point to the post or reference with a proper link - otherwise wouldn't it just be better to say nothing.

I have been feeling these things for several weeks now, and my disappointment in the rails community has been growing. This post just tipped the balance so I felt I had to make a comment.

with very best intentions Tonypm

Hi Tony and others.

Please keep patience. The RoR community is more then that.

Time to time hosting services are questioned on many RoR groups. Here in Brazil or elsewhere this is a recurrent subject.

It is not exactly free, but may help e few Google searches.

In my blog (http://marcricblog.blogspot.com/), there is a link (in the very beginning) to a hosting ranking company.

There is a specific RoR session.

I suggest a close look.

tonypm wrote:

Actually, I would have said that the forums were for people to get answers, not much point asking a question if no-one is going to provide a useful answer.

I have found most of my questions answered by searching the forum and looking at responses to previous questions - so that mostly I have not had to ask the question myself. In fact I learned to use ruby on rails that way .

This forum used to excel in a) the quality of responses, depth and helpfulness AND b) politeness and patience.

Sadly these things seem to be getting eroded. It would be nice if we could keep to being polite and user friendly and provide responses that have useful content. Remember, if you give a helpful answer, you haven't solved just a single user's query, you have provided documentation for many others when the search the forum in the future. If you can't resist saying "read the docs" or "it has been answered in another post", then at least have the decency to point to the post or reference with a proper link - otherwise wouldn't it just be better to say nothing.

I have been feeling these things for several weeks now, and my disappointment in the rails community has been growing. This post just tipped the balance so I felt I had to make a comment.

with very best intentions Tonypm

Thanks Tony! I just ignored that post since it's the opposite of helpful.

Will check out your blog, Marc. Thanks!