Remote mysql connection failing under OSX

I’ve run across an interesting (read frustrating) problem. I have specific application processes I don’t want to burn my hosts processing cycles on so I’m opting to do the processing on a computer local to me (through a RoR installation) and push the data direct to the server. I’ve got everything setup on both ends, but every attempt to form a connection between my local box and production mysql host produces the following error:

Mysql::Error: Lost connection to MySQL server during query: SHOW FIELDS FROM menus

On a whim I set everything up on a Windows box to see if it was a system problem or a host problem. Low and behold everything works like a charm under windows. My current theory is that this has something to do with the drivers rails uses under OS X, but I can’t find anyone else’s experiences who has uncovered a viable solution.

Host: Bluehost (same results with dreamhost) Operating Sys: OS X 10.4 and XP SP2 Home Ruby/Rails: Latest Release for both

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Tim,

I appreciate the feedback, but I think I left out an important detail. I do have my rails app connecting to mysql locally. Setting this up has been no problem whatsoever. Only when I attempt to form a remote connection do I have any issues.

Thanks, Aaron

Hi Aaron,

I appreciate the feedback, but I think I left out an important detail. I do have my rails app connecting to mysql locally. Setting this up has been no problem whatsoever. Only when I attempt to form a remote connection do I have any issues.

Have you checked your firewall settings on Mac OS X? By default, the Mac OS X firewall configuration will block remote MySQL socket connections. Opening port 3306 on your firewall configuration should allow remote connections.

I guess if that doesn't do the trick, the next thing would by to use e.g. the mysql command-line client to try to connect remotely first, to rule out a connection issue (as opposed to a Rails issue).

Good luck,

Peter