Regarding IDE

If you enjoy IDEs.and already use Eclipse at work. Eclipse 3.4 with the Rad Rails plugin is okay to use. you don’t have to learn new keyboard commands.

Also a replacement for scite that has a file browser is notepad++(windows only), it doesn’t have any erb syntax highlighting though.

VIM in my case is the best “IDE” for my work, i do everyting, is quickly to lern and run in every OS.

I was originally going to recommend using Vim myself as I have now gone back to it even after trying out other alternatives. Once the commands get in your fingers, there is no going back. Rails.vim and some other plugins really make it ideal ... IMHO.

Bob Martens escribió:

I was originally going to recommend using Vim myself as I have now gone back to it even after trying out other alternatives. Once the commands get in your fingers, there is no going back. Rails.vim and some other plugins really make it ideal ... IMHO.

On Feb 26, 4:19 pm, Agustin Nicolas Viñao Laseras   

I have to agree, I cant live with out my VIM and my bash shell..maybe is because I learn to code 15 years a go under unix but I can't use any GUI for this things, no matter what language, it just slows me down instead of making things easier like others say. nothing is faster than your fingers :wink:

This is a good way to configure VIM for RoR: http://www.akitaonrails.com/2009/1/4/rails-on-vim-in-english

Try VIM, my RAM is for my developments, not for my IDE :stuck_out_tongue:

As a really old programmer, I have to go with emacs. I've been using it since 1980 so I'm past the learning curve - mostly...

My setup right now, on a Mac, is aquamacs with the rinari macro package. Does a nice job of code formatting with color which I find helps when I've forgotten how many ends I need.

It sits in the right space between a fullup belt and suspenders IDE and raw naked command line with a text editor. I also use NetBeans7.0M1 when I want to be mindlessly lazy.