rails 2.0

using rails 1.2.6, is it worth switching to 2.0 now ?

By "using" do you mean a site in production? Or a site just beginning development? Or your personal blog? How important is uptime? How much time do you have to find any problems (in your code and in your plugins)? How much do you care? Why do you want to switch?

If it were me and it was a production site I cared about and I didn't need something in 2.0 I would leave it alone until 2.0.1 comes out. Or something close to that.

+ 2 cents.

-philip

Philip Hallstrom pisze:

By "using" do you mean a site in production? Or a site just beginning development? Or your personal blog? How important is uptime? How much time do you have to find any problems (in your code and in your plugins)? How much do you care? Why do you want to switch?

If it were me and it was a production site I cared about and I didn't need something in 2.0 I would leave it alone until 2.0.1 comes out. Or something close to that.

+ 2 cents.

-philip

>

its personal site, just for fun, i just wonder if hdd says that 2.0 is not revolutionary, maybe it isnt worth it.

I'd start it on the 2.0 RC if it's a personal site but for no particular reason other than I absolutely love some of the improvements!

Absolutely, it’s not all that hard to compile multiple versions of ruby so that they co-exist on a single server, and gem makes it very easy to have multiple versions of rails installed. Managing which versions you’re using in what place can be fiddly but also isn’t very hard.

That said, when deploying to production it is best to freeze rails into your application. That way you know you can upgrade the version of rails you’re running on your own schedule.

If you have good test coverage then upgrading to a new version should be pretty easy and safe. Simply update the version of rails you have in your vendor folder, run your tests and fix any issues that come up. I’d have no qualms about updating an app with a good test suite to rails 2.0, and regularly deploy apps based on versions of rails pretty close to Edge.

James.