Switching to Rails 2.1

Hi everyone.

Here is my problem: I've been working on a RoR project for a while (its quite big project), but have to stop the work on it for some half a year. Now I'm back on it and I'd like to switch to the newest version of Rails (my project is using Rails 1.2.6). Any tips how can this be done in some painful fashion? Plus I would like to pick the Rails 2.1 on the way as easily as possible. Any tips here, too?

Hi everyone.

Here is my problem: I've been working on a RoR project for a while (its quite big project), but have to stop the work on it for some half a year. Now I'm back on it and I'd like to switch to the newest version of Rails (my project is using Rails 1.2.6). Any tips how can this be done in some painful fashion? Plus I would like to pick the Rails 2.1 on the way as easily as possible. Any tips here, too?

install the gems, change environment.rb to use the new ones. (or if
you've frozen rails into your project then just refreeze it).

Fred

Quoting nightcoder <milan.novota@gmail.com>:

Hi everyone.

I'd suggest moving to 2.0 first. It should be fairly painless since your project is already at. Deal with any deprecated warnings before moving to 2.0. If you were using pagination, migrate to will_paginate as part of the move to 2.0. Run the automated tests, beat on it a few days, check everything into version control. Search out blogs on Rails 2.1; Google is your friend. I recommend the screen casts by Ryan Bates at Ruby on Rails Screencasts - RailsCasts and Riding Rails blog, especially Ruby on Rails — Rails 2.1: Time zones, dirty, caching, gem dependencies, caching, etc

HTH,   Jeffrey

Thank you both!

– Milan Novota

Milan Novota wrote:

- Switch to 2.1 (or 2.0, stepwise)   - run all your tests   - when a test fails, pass it   - switch back to 1.2.6       - revert your config/boot.rb       - comment out the 2.1.0 line in config/environment.rb       - integrate the new stuff in scripts and public*   - pass all tests and integrate

Repeat until all tests pass in 2.1...

*except if you have a JS that requires an old version of prototype.js...