Rails 1.2.6 or 2.0

Hi all,

If you are starting to develop a new Rails application, which version of rails will you choose, 1.2.6 or 2.0?

For me, the reasons to choose 1.2.6 are:

1) I have the book "Agile Web Development With Rails 2nd" at hand for reference. I can get a systematic rails knowledge from that book. But for 2.0, I don't know where I can find such a book or online resources to study it.

2) 1.2.6 is mature since it has been released for a long time. A lot of critical bugs have been fixed to make it stable. But version 2.0 is a new release, I am not sure whether it is stable enough. I am afraid that I don't have so much expertise on core Rails knowledge, so struggling with unsolvable bugs are always hard and time-consuming for me.

And the reasons to choose 2.0 are:

1) Now some new features are brought to Rails version 2.0. If I still stick to 1.2.6, I will miss those new features.

2) It seems 2.0 has been mainstream in Rails community. More and more people are switching to 2.0. So if i choose 2.0, I will get more and more help from the community if I meet some problems.

3) If I choose 1.2.6, I will face the future risk someday: I have to upgrade the application from 1.2.6 to 2.0. I don't know how difficult the upgrade task is. Maybe I have to rewrite most of the app's codes, that is terrible!

Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance!

If you are starting to develop a new Rails application, which version of rails will you choose, 1.2.6 or 2.0?

1) I have the book "Agile Web Development With Rails 2nd" at hand for reference. I can get a systematic rails knowledge from that book. But for 2.0, I don't know where I can find such a book or online resources to study it.

you can use most examples from the book with 2.0

2) 1.2.6 is mature since it has been released for a long time. A lot of critical bugs have been fixed to make it stable. But version 2.0 is a new release, I am not sure whether it is stable enough. I am afraid that I don't have so much expertise on core Rails knowledge, so struggling with unsolvable bugs are always hard and time-consuming for me.

a lot of people where using the edge version over the last months. i think we don't have to expect lots of errors. especially if you're starting and as a beginner not using any 'critical' features (if there're any.

1) Now some new features are brought to Rails version 2.0. If I still stick to 1.2.6, I will miss those new features.

yes you will :wink:

2) It seems 2.0 has been mainstream in Rails community. More and more people are switching to 2.0. So if i choose 2.0, I will get more and more help from the community if I meet some problems.

everybody will try to help you, whatever you choose, but with difficult question about eg routing people will tell you to use those nice new features

3) If I choose 1.2.6, I will face the future risk someday: I have to upgrade the application from 1.2.6 to 2.0. I don't know how difficult the upgrade task is. Maybe I have to rewrite most of the app's codes, that is terrible!

use 2.0.2

You may also want to check which version your web host supports. I know that our hosting company (Hostgator) took a long time before adding Rails 1.2 support. I very much doubt if, now they have that working reliably, they will rush to switch to version 2.0. Apart from 'special interest' companies, most commercial web hosts are pretty conservative, preferring to stick with what is known to work rather than switching to a new version at an early date...

best wishes Huw

SapphireSteel Software Ruby and Rails In Visual Studio http://www.sapphiresteel.com

You may also want to check which version your web host supports. I
know that our hosting company (Hostgator) took a long time before adding Rails 1.2 support. I very much doubt if, now they have that working reliably, they will rush to switch to version 2.0. Apart from 'special interest' companies, most commercial web hosts are pretty
conservative, preferring to stick with what is known to work rather than switching
to a new version at an early date...

Although if you freeze rails into /vendor that's not an issue (which I
think is a good idea anyway)

Fred

Huw Collingbourne wrote:

You may also want to check which version your web host supports. I know that our hosting company (Hostgator) took a long time before adding Rails 1.2 support. I very much doubt if, now they have that working reliably, they will rush to switch to version 2.0. Apart from 'special interest' companies, most commercial web hosts are pretty conservative, preferring to stick with what is known to work rather than switching to a new version at an early date...

best wishes Huw

SapphireSteel Software Ruby and Rails In Visual Studio http://www.sapphiresteel.com

i am with hostgator. IMHO....

stay with rails 1.2 till they upgrade ruby.....

you can upgrade rails yourself ==> get SSH.

get your application working.... then upgrade your development environment, and fix the depreciated stuff.

and .... you good to go....

and all the gems should work then, and all be updated.

unless you like the bleeding edge, to solve problems that will be solved anyway.

2.0. You're just starting your app. What's your timeline? 2 months? 6 months? By the time your done odds are any issues you run up against will be fixed and also more and more people will be using it...

Ryan Daigle does a nice job of blogging about new features.

http://ryandaigle.com/articles/2007/12/7/rails-2-0-final-released-summary-of-features

He also wrote up a nice little PDF booklet documenting major changes.

2 all the way.

In fact, if you're starting, use piston to import rails 2.0.2 into your vendor directory and then you can easily update it as new versions come out (or not). But in any event you'll know what version your using regardless of what gems are installed where.

-philip

Hi all,

I think the answer to this depends largely on where you are with your knowledge of Rails.

If you already have rails experience then I'd say go with 2.0.x. Obie Fernandez's new book the Rails Way is a good resource for experienced Rails 1.2 folks to come up to speed on 2.0 but it won't serve as a good resource for getting off the ground with rails, those resources are, as far as I can see all 1.2 based, and trying to use them with 2.0 as you learn is likely to be frustrating.

Which is the reason I recommend using 1.2.6 for newcomers to Rails until the good tutorial material catches up.

2.0 is stable enough I think. And a lot of the code is common or very similar between the two, so if you don't need the kind of tutorial information which is only available for 1.2 then I don't believe that this is a reason to not use 2.0.

Although I have personally upgraded an app from 1.2 to 2.0, from what I've seen it's really not that bad, and there are resources on the web to help.