If you are starting to develop a new Rails application, which version
of rails will you choose, 1.2.6 or 2.0?
For me, the reasons to choose 1.2.6 are:
1) I have the book "Agile Web Development With Rails 2nd" at hand for
reference. I can get a systematic rails knowledge from that book. But
for 2.0, I don't know where I can find such a book or online resources
to study it.
2) 1.2.6 is mature since it has been released for a long time. A lot
of critical bugs have been fixed to make it stable. But version 2.0 is
a new release, I am not sure whether it is stable enough. I am afraid
that I don't have so much expertise on core Rails knowledge, so
struggling with unsolvable bugs are always hard and time-consuming for
And the reasons to choose 2.0 are:
1) Now some new features are brought to Rails version 2.0. If I still
stick to 1.2.6, I will miss those new features.
2) It seems 2.0 has been mainstream in Rails community. More and more
people are switching to 2.0. So if i choose 2.0, I will get more and
more help from the community if I meet some problems.
3) If I choose 1.2.6, I will face the future risk someday: I have to
upgrade the application from 1.2.6 to 2.0. I don't know how difficult
the upgrade task is. Maybe I have to rewrite most of the app's codes,
that is terrible!
Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance!