Problem starting in Webrick server

Hi,

I am learning Ruby on Rails and using a book as a guide. I am stuck at a particular chapter on Rails, where I am unable to start the Webrick server. But before going into the problem, let me give you a brief on the setup of Ruby on Rails in my system.

I have installed RoR ( I have installed InstantRails-2.0-win.zip. downloaded from http://instantrails.rubyforge.org.) set up in 'D' directory and the path is something like D:\RoR. I had created a folder D:\rails_projects where I had setup an application skeleton using the command (@command prompt),

D:\rails_projects>rails MyProj

This had created the application skeleton where the standard rails application directories were created.

Now, my problem is that, in the book it had mentioned that I can start the server by typing command,

ruby script/server Webrick

But I am receiving this message ----- > ruby: No such file or directory -- script/server (LoadError)

I believe I am at wrong directory location when I am giving this command. Can anybody let me know which directory location, I should be at when i am giving this command?

I hope I am being clear in stating my problem, but if I have missed anything or if more clarification is needed, please let me know.

Many Thanks!! Maddy

I think you need to type "cd MyProj" before typing "ruby script/server Webrick".

Hi,

I am learning Ruby on Rails and using a book as a guide. I am stuck at a particular chapter on Rails, where I am unable to start the Webrick server. But before going into the problem, let me give you a brief on the setup of Ruby on Rails in my system.

I have installed RoR ( I have installed InstantRails-2.0-win.zip. downloaded from http://instantrails.rubyforge.org.) set up in 'D' directory and the path is something like D:\RoR. I had created a folder D:\rails_projects where I had setup an application skeleton using the command (@command prompt),

This had created the application skeleton where the standard rails application directories were created.

Now, my problem is that, in the book it had mentioned that I can start the server by typing command,

It is some time since I used InstantRails (setup a dual boot to Ubuntu and never looked back) but my memory is that IR has a menu item for starting the server, under Manage Apps or something. I also think that the application should be in the rails_apps folder (or something) under your IR folder. Have a look through the IR docs. Try one of the supplied demo apps to check it is all working. I found IR certainly the easiest way to get Rails going on Windows but I think it is now several issues out of date. That is not a major issue as it is easy to update to the latest, though I forget the exact commands to enter at this point. Note then that the tutorial you are following may be out of date. The rails guides at http://guides.rubyonrails.org/ are excellent, start with Getting Started. This will, of course, assume you have an up to date rails installation. Remember to do all rails related activity within the IR environment.

I would also suggest considering upgrading to Ubuntu or similar, there will be additional learning curve but then you may, like me, wonder why you did not take the plunge earlier. A dual boot allows me to keep windows for the rare occasions when I need it and allows one to keep doing the critical stuff while picking up the new.

Colin

maddy wrote:

Hi,
I am learning Ruby on Rails and using a book as a guide. I am stuck
at a particular chapter on Rails, where I am unable to start the
Webrick server. But before going into the problem, let me give you a
brief on the setup of Ruby on Rails in my system.
I have installed RoR ( I have installed InstantRails-2.0-win.zip.
downloaded from .) set up in 'D'
directory and the path is something like D:\RoR. I had created a
folder D:\rails_projects where I had setup an application skeleton
using the command (@command prompt),
This had created the application skeleton where the standard rails
application directories were created.
Now, my problem is that, in the book it had mentioned that I can
start the server by typing command,
But I am receiving this message ----- > ruby: No such file or
directory -- script/server (LoadError)
I believe I am at wrong directory location when I am giving this
command. Can anybody let me know which directory location, I should be
at when i am giving this command?
I hope I am being clear in stating my problem, but if I have missed
anything or if more clarification is needed, please let me know.
Many Thanks!!
Maddy

I will endorse everything Colin Law said. I use InstantRails (when I have to be on windows). You need to move your app to d:\ror\rails_apps\MyProj

After doing that the bring up InstantRails.exe and go to the I button it displays. Select manage rails applications. In that window select your app and tell it to start it with mongrel or webrick and it should bring it up. You will have to have created your database before doing this using whatever method your tutorial describes.

Its all a lot faster and (to me) easier on Ubuntu but IR works.

Norm