Mac and Rails

Hello,

I have been just tasked to learn Rails for a new project and have been given Mac machine for it. I have never used a Mac / Linux ever. I have used Rails before on Windows. I need to set up Rails development env on this Mac machine. Its Mac OS X - Snow Leopard. The development environment needs Rails 2.3.5, GIT client and MySQL. We are still swaying between using Mongreal or Apache locally, because the production will be in Apache.

Can someone advise what the best practices, best tools, editors, etc to set up Rails development env locally on a Mac? Apologize for the v basic question. :slight_smile:

Regards Vikram

I have been just tasked to learn Rails for a new project and have been

given Mac machine for it. I have never used a Mac / Linux ever. I have

used Rails before on Windows. I need to set up Rails development env

on this Mac machine. Its Mac OS X - Snow Leopard. The development

environment needs Rails 2.3.5, GIT client and MySQL. We are still

swaying between using Mongreal or Apache locally, because the

production will be in Apache.

Use Apache locally too. It’s simple, Apache is already installed on Snow Leopard. Install Passenger and configure it (which you’ll need to learn how to do for production anyway). Update your gems on Snow Leopard (as Rails is also already installed on Snow Leopard) and away you go.

Can someone advise what the best practices, best tools, editors, etc

to set up Rails development env locally on a Mac? Apologize for the v

basic question. :slight_smile:

As I said, you already have Rails and Apache ready to go. You need to install MySQL (or use sqlite in development) and that’s it. I personally use TextMate, but RubyMine looks awesome if you don’t mind the lag for Java-based IDEs to start up.

Cheers,

Andy

Homebrew (http://github.com/mxcl/homebrew) is your friend for software dependencies installation.

Here's a rough guide that gives the process:

Substitute mysql for postgresql and drop the nginx install and most of the steps are the same.

Personally, I use Ruby Enterprise Edition as installed from Homebrew, too and it works well for managing RubyGems without sudo (passenger is included in the install). It's what I use in production, so it makes my development environment more closely match what I'm using in production.

Cheers, Walter

or u can use rvm with ree =)

Ivan Nastyukhin dieinzige@me.com

There are some wonderful guides out there for this. Rails works great out-of-the-box on OS X.

Out of the editors I've used, I believe textmate is the best. It's visually pleasing and very extensible. It also is the text editor seen in the famous "Rails Casts" from 37Signals. http://macromates.com/

I use Textmate in combination with Panic's Transmit ftp software (Transmit 5) and Firefox armed with Firebug as my environment. I find it highly productive. (I love textmate and it seems to be one of the posterchild editors for Rails, but it will take some time to get used to. It has a lot of great features)

You have a few options for your Rails installation...

The absolute easiest is just to update the Rails app installed with OS X. You'll be up and running in just a few minutes: http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/getting-started/installation/mac

If you don't want that, consider the RubyStack from BitNami:

For maximum control, you can manually build Rails, as well:

Lastly, I've not needed to use a particular version of Rails so far, but I believe you can install older versions of rails as Gems, if you need them. See this article: Absolutely No Machete Juggling » Using Multiple Versions Of Rails

Hope that helps a little.

Andy Jeffries wrote:

I have been just tasked to learn Rails for a new project and have been given Mac machine for it. I have never used a Mac / Linux ever. I have used Rails before on Windows. I need to set up Rails development env on this Mac machine. Its Mac OS X - Snow Leopard. The development environment needs Rails 2.3.5, GIT client and MySQL. We are still swaying between using Mongreal or Apache locally, because the production will be in Apache.

Use Apache locally too. It's simple, Apache is already installed on Snow Leopard. Install Passenger and configure it (which you'll need to learn how to do for production anyway).

What a waste of effort IMHO. I've never used anything but Mongrel locally. It works fine n

Update your gems on Snow Leopard (as Rails is also already installed on Snow Leopard) and away you go.

Can someone advise what the best practices, best tools, editors, etc to set up Rails development env locally on a Mac? Apologize for the v basic question. :slight_smile:

As I said, you already have Rails and Apache ready to go. You need to install MySQL (or use sqlite in development) and that's it. I personally use TextMate, but RubyMine looks awesome if you don't mind the lag for Java-based IDEs to start up.

Please don't bother with an IDE for Rails; it doesn't need or want one. KomodoEdit rocks.

Check out Mac - Official Apple Support . Consider iTerm as a more powerful substitute for Terminal.app . If you're using Git, get GitX.

Best,

Use Apache locally too. It’s simple, Apache is already installed on

Snow

Leopard. Install Passenger and configure it (which you’ll need to learn

how

to do for production anyway).

What a waste of effort IMHO. I’ve never used anything but Mongrel

locally. It works fine n

What effort? It’s 4 lines of typing to get Passenger installed:

gem install passenger

passenger-install-apache2-module (copy the suggested lines and paste into…)

mate /etc/apache2/httpd.conf

sudo apachectl restart

Download the Passenger Preferences Pane (http://github.com/alloy/passengerpane/downloads) to be able to set up new sites easily using a GUI. Much easier than setting up Mongrel as a daemon to serve multiple sites in the background.

How do you set up Mongrel that’s easier (from scratch) than the above? I’m assuming you’re not just working on a single Rails site and just do “rails s” or “script/server” when you need it up (I have locally running websites available all the time).

Cheers,

Andy

Andy Jeffries wrote:

> Use Apache locally too. It's simple, Apache is already installed on > Snow > Leopard. Install Passenger and configure it (which you'll need to learn > how > to do for production anyway).

What a waste of effort IMHO. I've never used anything but Mongrel locally. It works fine n

What effort? It's 4 lines of typing to get Passenger installed:

gem install passenger passenger-install-apache2-module (copy the suggested lines and paste into...) mate /etc/apache2/httpd.conf sudo apachectl restart

Yes, but "script/server -u" is even easier. I love Passenger on servers, but there's no advantage to using it on a dev machine.

Download the Passenger Preferences Pane ( http://github.com/alloy/passengerpane/downloads) to be able to set up new sites easily using a GUI. Much easier than setting up Mongrel as a daemon to serve multiple sites in the background.

How do you set up Mongrel that's easier (from scratch) than the above? I'm assuming you're not just working on a single Rails site and just do "rails s" or "script/server" when you need it up (I have locally running websites available all the time).

I don't see the point of that on a development machine either. I can't imagine a use case in which I'd need multiple Rails sites running simultaneously on my development machine. I just type script/server for whatever project I'm working on at a given time.

Cheers,

Andy

Best,

Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote:

How do you set up Mongrel that's easier (from scratch) than the above? I'm assuming you're not just working on a single Rails site and just do "rails s" or "script/server" when you need it up (I have locally running websites available all the time).

I don't see the point of that on a development machine either. I can't imagine a use case in which I'd need multiple Rails sites running simultaneously on my development machine. I just type script/server for whatever project I'm working on at a given time.

I have to agree with Marnen on this point. I don't run services on my machines that are unnecessary. I don't have Apache running all the time. It's not like I server web sites from my laptop. I don't run MySQL on my development box all the time. I don't develop multiple-sites concurrently, so I see no point in having them running all the time.

I'm quite happy with ./script/server, which I aliased as 'ss' in my profile so I just type ss in my already running terminal window and my site it up and running with Mongrel. And, given that Mongrel is pre-installed by Apple, there's nothing to install, keeping my development machine just that much cleaner.

P.S. +1 to whoever mentioned Homebrew. Finally an alternative to macports that I can be happy with. self => "macports hater"

P.S. +1 to whoever mentioned Homebrew. Finally an alternative to macports that I can be happy with. self => "macports hater"

Really, what's the deal about macports? I find it works quite well. What problems does homebrew solve?

Fernando Perez wrote:

Really, what's the deal about macports? I find it works quite well. What problems does homebrew solve?

Yeah. I don't much like MacPorts either, but Fink seems like a better alternative than Homebrew (though I can imagine that changing at some point). The enthusiasm for Homebrew seems more like "ZOMG it's Ruby!!!11!!one!" than anything else, unless I'm missing something.

Best,

You are missing something. Both Fink and MacPorts push the user towards using an alternative directory structure (/sw for Fink, /opt) rather than use /usr/local. Some people like this alternative path structure as it can be easy to clean out, etc.

However, using either, when a package wasn't available, I often would build from source under /usr/local and end up with two directory structures, one for packages and one built from source. A pain.

Both systems required mucking with you PATH, etc. to maintain this alternative software repository.

Both systems are ports of other platforms' (Fink is Debian apt style, MacPorts is FreeBSD ports style) software packaging systems and don't feel quite right on a Mac to me. Homebrew was a fresh approach to the problem that also is a simplification and realizes the existing intent of /usr/local in the *nix architecture. As such it also realizes that sudo/root to install packages is usually unnecessary and is not a beneficial idiom.

I preferred MacPorts over Fink for a long time. My biggest gripe with it was that packages were way behind the times. The community wasn't there. Homebrew's biggest advantage is probably that it is very easy to submit/update a package for a software library via being on github. Fork, update Homebrew, pull request, and you are done. Use your fork instead of the canonical Homebrew repository if you have custom needs, etc.

The easiness of getting the pieces of software you need into the system via Github makes the system stay grow rabidly and also keeps it fresh.

Cheers, Walter