Learning Ruby on Rails

Hi All,

My name is Ali and I am an embedded software engineering (C, C++ on embedded platforms), but want to learn Ruby on Rails mainly because I want to start my own start-up and based on my research Rails is the most efficient way of creating web applications. So I am really happy to join this fantastic community! My question is what sort of time-frame is a good objective for me to have to learn the language in a proficient manner, considering that I have a strong software engineering background? I would like to create a peer-to-peer online gaming platform and do this using Rails. Any advice/words of encouragement is highly appreciated. :slight_smile:

Thanks and looking forward to learning from you/contributing to this mailing-list! :slight_smile:

Hi All,

My name is Ali and I am an embedded software engineering (C, C++ on embedded platforms), but want to learn Ruby on Rails mainly because I want to start my own start-up and based on my research Rails is the most efficient way of creating web applications. So I am really happy to join this fantastic community! My question is what sort of time-frame is a good objective for me to have to learn the language in a proficient manner, considering that I have a strong software engineering background? I would like to create a peer-to-peer online gaming platform and do this using Rails. Any advice/words of encouragement is highly appreciated. :slight_smile:

If you have not previously built web applications then RoR is not going to be the thing that will take most learning time and experience. You will need to learn about html, javascript, css and the fundamentals of how web applications work. To get started with RoR work right through a good tutorial such as railstutorial.org (which is free to use online). That will show you the basics of rails.

Colin