New to RonR...

Hello,

I'll try to keep this short BUT, I've got little/no experience with programming. In fact, my only background is using Cold Fusion (since 1996 and VERY little of that for the past 5 years as I've been playing as a Manager-type at my jobs so I haven't had to do any hands-on stuff for a while).

My question: Would Ruby on Rails be a good platform to get back into the swing of things and is it something I can pick up on my own with a book? Thanks so much!

Thank you Shandy. That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I've got some experience with javascript and CSS but it has been a while.

You can download Build your own Ruby on Rails web applications book for free from SitePoint

http://www.sitepoint.com/books/rails1/freebook.php

Jason

Hello,

I'll try to keep this short BUT, I've got little/no experience with programming. In fact, my only background is using Cold Fusion (since 1996 and VERY little of that for the past 5 years as I've been playing as a Manager-type at my jobs so I haven't had to do any hands-on stuff for a while).

My question: Would Ruby on Rails be a good platform to get back into the swing of things

Yes.

and is it something I can pick up on my own with a book?

Possibly. Get "Agile Web Development with Rails" and "Programming Ruby" and get started.

I myself have used CF since 99 and thought "why doesn't everyone use this? it's so easy." I now that that about ROR. It took some time for me to relearn my OOP skills but now that I have it back I don't want to work in CF or anything else. Each programing language has its strengths and weakness. I don't want to start a war.

My big learning curve was learning ruby and the rails framework.

Top 12 Ruby on Rails Tutorials

A OOP 101 book that uses ruby

I’ve got a CS degree and 25 years of programming experience (just to let you know where I’m coming from…)

I’d say trying to tackle Rails without a good grounding in programming would be a very frustrating experience. However, IMHO Ruby is an excellent first language to learn. Check out “Learn to Program” by the Prags: http://www.pragprog.com/titles/fr_ltp

Another way to learn Ruby, is to learn Smalltalk. Smalltalk is a very easy to learn language, there are several very good implementations available for free (I recommend Squeak), and there are tons of used books available for peanuts on Amazon. Lots of Smalltalk concepts translate directly into Ruby, and Smalltalk is easier/more fun to play with. Plus there is a very helpful maillist geared towards helping newbies… much more intimate than this list. Check out smalltalk.org

Have fun and give yourself plenty of time.

– John

And in all that time you still haven't learned to stop top-posting?

I’ve got a CS degree and 25 years of programming experience

And in all that time you still haven’t learned to stop top-posting?

LOL…