How fast a PHP Developer can learn Ruby on Rails

Hi guys,

I have more than 6 years of experience as PHP Developer, and now i want to learn Ruby on rails. But i am confused how far i can achieve the same. Can you please let me know how long it will take me to learn Ruby on Rails and start a project.

Hi guys,

I have more than 6 years of experience as PHP Developer, and now i want to learn Ruby on rails. But i am confused how far i can achieve the same. Can you please let me know how long it will take me to learn Ruby on Rails and start a project.

You can start a project in a few minutes.

I suggest you take a couple of days out and work right through a good tutorial such as railstutorial.org (which is free to use online). With your experience you should be able to work quickly through it. Then you will understand the basics of rails and should be able to answer the question yourself.

Colin

You should start from (pure) Ruby, not from Ruby On Rails.

You should start from (pure) Ruby, not from Ruby On Rails.

I think that very much depends on the individual. Someone with good knowledge of programming fundamentals should not have difficulty learning both at once.

Colin

You can start with “The Ruby Programming Language” book. It’s written by David Flanagan & Yukihiro Matsumoto.

śr., 16.12.2015 o 11:21 użytkownik Colin Law clanlaw@gmail.com napisał:

I think rails is great, but it’s probably more complicated than PHP … I think Rails is also perhaps better as far as back end development. If alot of what you do is mostly front end, I am not sure if you would get that far into the rails stack.

Since Rails is more complex, if you learn some Rails and then go to a job interview; you may get asked a ton of questions that you are not too sure about unless your are more of an expert because there is alot of stuff in the Rails grab bag so to speak. I know quite a bit of Rails, but I can’t remember all the details about every last bit of it off the top of my head sometimes which I have found frustrating when asked such questions

If you really just start from a tutorial and get going you can get a serviceable project up - and understood - in about a week.

The development environment can be a little tricky starting out and may take a day or two. Or it could take an hour if you get the right tutorials. Some of the tutorials out there are a bit dated; anything mentioning Rails 3 will only be partially right.

Once you get the basics going you might want to read things like Eloquent Ruby to stop writing code that looks like converted PHP or Java.

Caveat - If you don’t understand MVC paradigm yet, figure twice the time or even longer.

Oh and as a PHP developer you could be dismal on Test Driven Development. That will be another week or two struggle to get used to that. Does’t prevent you from making your website but you will eventually have to pick that up.

And then there’s Git. If you don’t know that.