How to uninstall ruby on ubuntu 10.10

Hi everyone,

Please forgive the English I'm using the google translator.

I decided to learn Ruby on Rails recently, and I am configuring a virtual machine with Ubuntu 10.10. however I am having trouble installing ruby and rails. This is because when running the gem install rails I am informed that the zlib not found. I would uninstall and try to use the ruby by RVM.

The command sudo make uninstall from the build directory does not exist, and I do not know how to uninstall.

Could anyone tell me how? Articles on the Internet I see none worked.

Despite being in a virtual machine condition and I have to send into space and install again from scratch, does not seem right, it can never get a 100% managed.

Thanks.

How did you install ruby?

In fact, strange as it may seem, you do need a ruby installed _before_ you can use rvm, as it uses the existing installed ruby to compile the other versions of ruby that you install via rvm. You can just leave your current one installed, it will not interfere with the rvm versions.

Colin

Hi everyone,

Please forgive the English I'm using the google translator.

I decided to learn Ruby on Rails recently, and I am configuring a virtual machine with Ubuntu 10.10. however I am having trouble installing ruby and rails. This is because when running the gem install rails I am informed that the zlib not found. I would uninstall and try to use the ruby by RVM.

The command sudo make uninstall from the build directory does not exist, and I do not know how to uninstall.

In fact, strange as it may seem, you do need a ruby installed _before_ you can use rvm, as it uses the existing installed ruby to compile the other versions of ruby that you install via rvm. You can just leave your current one installed, it will not interfere with the rvm versions.

Colin

-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Ruby on Rails: Talk" group. To post to this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk?hl=en.

In fact, strange as it may seem, you do need a ruby installed before

you can use rvm, as it uses the existing installed ruby to compile the

other versions of ruby that you install via rvm. You can just leave

your current one installed, it will not interfere with the rvm

versions.

Colin

Hello

But then I need to hit that my installation, why I need to remove it because it has already deleted the directory / usr / local / lib / ruby of trying to remove the ruby.

The installation took shape as explained in the official website, unzipping and running

. / Configure

make sudo make install

What I need right now is to uninstall ruby. sudo make uninstall does not work.

Gerson

If you're learning, don't try to do everything in one go. Use a pre-configured Rails environment to learn the framework (in a virtual machine), and worry about the sysadmin stuff later:

http://www.virtualrails.org - everything in one package; Ruby, Rails, IDE/editor, GUI Ruby on Rails | TurnKey GNU/Linux - Rails core if you want to keep your development on your physical machine

Maybe my little guide could help you: http://cicolin.blogspot.com/2010/10/how-to-install-ruby-rails-and.html

for zlib all you may need to do is install the dev files

sudo aptitude install zlib1g-dev

why do you want to use rmv? you don't need it to get a ruby on rails platform working. only reason you want to use rvm is because you want to run many version of ruby and or rails and be able to switch between the two.

if you're going to learn rails just install ruby 1.9.2p0 with rails 3 and start to learn the future now