How should I test this?

Hi all

In my app I'd like to send a request to google sitemaps indexer after a new post is created.

This would take place in the post_observer and would look something like this:

require 'net/http' require 'uri' class PostObserver < ActiveRecord::Observer

include ActionController::UrlWriter default_url_options[:host] = "mydomain.com"

def after_create(post)     Net::HTTP.get('www.google.com', '/ping?sitemap=' + URI.escape (sitemap_url))   end end

How could I write a test for this? Also - how could I disable the actual request while running in test mode?

Thanks

Gavin

Gavin wrote:

In my app I'd like to send a request to google sitemaps indexer after a new post is created.

This would take place in the post_observer and would look something like this:

require 'net/http' require 'uri' class PostObserver < ActiveRecord::Observer

include ActionController::UrlWriter default_url_options[:host] = "mydomain.com"

def after_create(post)     Net::HTTP.get('www.google.com', '/ping?sitemap=' + URI.escape (sitemap_url))   end end

How could I write a test for this?

Firstly, after_create should not call the service directly - it should call a method in a GoogleApi module that calls the service. (See the thread "no sql in the controller guideline".)

Also - how could I disable the actual request while running in test mode?

Use Mocha to introduce a mock.

Call the real service one time and p the result out. Copy the result into the test code and configure a test to mock either the Net::HTTP or the GoogleApi. The mock will return your recorded result.

Firstly, after_create should not call the service directly - it should call a method in a GoogleApi module that calls the service. (See the thread "no sql in the controller guideline".)

Would this apply to model_observers too?

Gavin wrote:

Would this apply to model_observers too?

Yes; MVC theory suggests observers are controllers. We all wish observers did not exist, and controllers simply watched everything! Observers are just exposed plumbing...

So instead of sending an email after a user is created (for example) from the observer, It would be better to have the controller send it or call a model method to send it?