Accessing request from model (or observer)

Hello,

I am currently developing an engine which allows several different sites to be served using the same code. The implementation is like this:

- every Post has a site_id field, which is set to the ID is the site to which the post belongs to. - in Apache config, I have something like:   ServerName site1.com   ServerAlias site2.com

site1.com and site2.com are different sites, with ID's 1 and 2. When a user accesses the site, engine detects which url is used (by comparing request.host against sites database) and serves only posts with the corresponding site_id. @current_site variable is set on application controller level before any page is served to user.

The question: I want to make the process of creating posts as clean as possible. Meaning that when a post is saved, site_id is automatically attached to it. The best possible way would be to do it in post model's before_save function, but the problem is that neither @current_site variable, nor request is available to the post model. I tried to use observers with no luck (same access problems as with model)

Any ideas or may be some fresh approaches are very appreciated. I really would like to leave setting site_id in controller as a last resort (doesn't take much time to implement, but just oh so un- clean :slight_smile:

TIA, Mike.

Just set the site_id in the controller before calling post.save.

b

Mikhail Kornienko wrote:

Thanks for the great idea Ben!

That's how I have implemented it (is it the way you meant it?). All controllers in admin interface have AdminController as a parent so I define the "fix" on the topmost level.

class AdminController < ApplicationController ..... before_filter :set_site_id, :only => [:create, :update]

private def set_site_id()    params[:page][:site_id] = @current_site.id end .....

I wonder if there's a better way? Or the current approach is good enough. I don't really like to juggle with params array manually.

mike.

Looks like the approach above solves the problem with setting site_id on save, but it doesn't solve the problem overall.

I do need some way to access either @params or a variable set inside the action controller. That's because I want to modify model's default find method so all search would return only records which belong to current site.

Currently I have the following find method which overrides the default find in the model:

def self.find(*args)      with_scope(:find => { :conditions => "posts.post_type='page'" }) do        super      end   end

What I would like to be able to do it:

def self.find(*args)      with_scope(:find => { :conditions => ["posts.post_type='page' and posts.site_id=?", @current_site_id] }) do        super      end   end

Where @current_site_id is defined in action controller (that's where the @request array becomes available). Any ideas?

Mikhail Kornienko wrote:

Looks like the approach above solves the problem with setting site_id on save, but it doesn't solve the problem overall.

I do need some way to access either @params or a variable set inside the action controller. That's because I want to modify model's default find method so all search would return only records which belong to current site.

Currently I have the following find method which overrides the default find in the model:

def self.find(*args)      with_scope(:find => { :conditions => "posts.post_type='page'" }) do        super      end   end

What I would like to be able to do it:

def self.find(*args)      with_scope(:find => { :conditions => ["posts.post_type='page' and posts.site_id=?", @current_site_id] }) do        super      end   end

Where @current_site_id is defined in action controller (that's where the @request array becomes available). Any ideas?

Well, find has *args to play with... maybe just pass the current_site_id to find. Don't know if having an extra arg in the array will make the call to super puke, but you can always remove it before calling super.

b