Hosting Ruby on Rails on GoDaddy - Solved!

Hello all,

I know how very challenging it can be to host a ROR application of GoDaddy. The good news is that after 10 days of blood, sweat and tears, I finally got it

to work!!!

First, let me start by saying that I'm somewhat of a newbie to Rails. However, I've been programming in Java and/or C# for the last 10+ years so I've been

around the block a couple times when it comes to this stuff. Secondly, this was undoubtedly one of the most challenging development tasks I've undertaken

this year, so please don't feel bad if you didn't get it to work the first 10 attempts because it took me waaaaay more than that!. Well, with that said, I'm

sure you're eager to get to the how-to so let's do it.

Right now, I'd love to write a few paragraphs on how GoDaddy's Ruby on Rails support and documentation is abominal, but that would only be preaching to the

choir... Instead, let's make some lemonade :slight_smile:

One more thing, please forgive and typing/spelling errors, I'm writing this in Notepad.

My Setup

Thanks for your detailed step installing rails!!! After following your instruction and installing 1.1.6 rails application I tried installing also 2.*applications but it wasn’t so easy. There was an error for a gem method not recognized on godaddy server and I discovered that the problem can be resolved replacing gem calls with the oldest require_gem call. After replacing all these method in vendor/rails files I successfully installed my rails 2.0.5 application on GoDaddy. I wrote a page with all the steps at

I hope it will be useful for someone… Thanks again Matteo

Hi sir I followed your post.I got a running RoR on godaddy without a

My problem when I try to add a simple query on the database my

page only display a blank page.I really don’t what happening.

deluxe hosting linux development machine win xp rails 1.1.6 ruby 1.8.6 gem 0.9.4 mysql 5

database.yml development: adapter: mysql database: secondtry_db host: secondtry_db.db.3769687.hostedresource.com port: 3306 username: secondtry_db password: ********

production: adapter: mysql database: secondtry_db host: secondtry_db.db.3769687.hostedresource.com port: 3306 username: secondtry_db password: ******* contoller @users = User.find(:all) app/new.rhtml Welcome to User Registration

Lastname Firstname

When I remove the query on new.rhtml I view the simple message ” Welcome to User Registration and the Time”

Migrate database def self.up create_table :users do |t| t.column :lastname, :string t.column :firstname, :string end end Thank you in advance..

Johny ben wrote:

Hi sir I followed your post.I got a running RoR on godaddy without a >My problem when I try to add a simple query on the database my page only display a blank page.I really don’t what happening.

deluxe hosting linux development machine win xp rails 1.1.6 ruby 1.8.6 gem 0.9.4 mysql 5

database.yml development: adapter: mysql database: secondtry_db host: secondtry_db.db.3769687.hostedresource.com port: 3306 username: secondtry_db password: ********

production: adapter: mysql database: secondtry_db host: secondtry_db.db.3769687.hostedresource.com port: 3306 username: secondtry_db password: ******* contoller @users = User.find(:all) app/new.rhtml

Welcome to User Registration <%= Time.now %> <table>   <tr>     <th>Lastname</th>     <th>Firstname</th>     </tr>

<% for user in @users %>   <tr>     <td><%=h user.lastname %></td>     <td><%=h user.firstname %></td>     </tr> <% end %> </table>

When I remove the query on new.rhtml I view the simple message ” Welcome to User Registration and the Time”

Migrate database def self.up create_table :users do |t| t.column :lastname, :string t.column :firstname, :string end end Thank you in advance..

on Error Log   /web/cgi-bin/php5: Symbol `client_errors' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking /web/cgi-bin/php5: Symbol `client_errors' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking

after one week of trial n error on deploying a very simple RoR application on godaddy I finally made a success.     here my test page            http://catalystcreativemedia.com/webpage/

Hi, I want to launch a rails application on godaddy. I purchased a domain and a hosting plan. I really could not understand from where and how to start to deploy rails application .

Can anyone please tell how to proceed.

thank you aashish

Aashish Kiran wrote:

Hi, I want to launch a rails application on godaddy. I purchased a domain and a hosting plan. I really could not understand from where and how to start to deploy rails application .

thank you aashish

I think this article can help you solve your issues ...

http://www.bigbluebrains.com/index.php/2010/08/04/how-to-host-a-ruby-application-on-godaddy/

Thanks Hamaky

Aashish Kiran wrote:

GoDaddy supports Rails officially, so talk to their tech support. If that doesn't work, then get your money back and use a different host. I've never heard anything good about GoDaddy's Rails support.

BTW, a warning: don't ever use GoDaddy's e-mail hosting. Their spam filter is overactive and misconfigured, and can't be turned off. This results in rejection of lots of legitimate mail.

thank you aashish

Best,

Step by step deploy a Ruby application on GoDaddy http://wanghaiyang.me/archives/166