GoDaddy deployment

I'm stuck with my deployment on a Premium GoDaddy Web Hosting account. I have read every hint I can find in this group and through Googling. That's gotten me to the point that I can see the index.html page in the public directory. For both a real app and a simple test app. When I try to run a test app, I get a 404 page. When I click on "About your application's environment," I get the rails standard page not found.

GoDaddy support tells me that they checked my site with a cookbook app, and it works. They refuse to share the code, though.

I think it's something basic, though. I can't even get the simple apps to show up on the list of rails apps in the GoDaddy CGI_admin console to create a symlink.

I could really, really use a copy of a simple app that's working on GoDaddy (and the .htaccess files, just to to be sure.)

I'm desperate. I've already paid for several years of the service. I even paid a company to deploy my app on GoDaddy. They took my money and didn't do it. I'm embarrassed to say how much of my money they took...

I'm stuck with my deployment on a Premium GoDaddy Web Hosting account. I have read every hint I can find in this group and through Googling. That's gotten me to the point that I can see the index.html page in the public directory. For both a real app and a simple test app. When I try to run a test app, I get a 404 page. When I click on "About your application's environment," I get the rails standard page not found.

GoDaddy support tells me that they checked my site with a cookbook app, and it works. They refuse to share the code, though.

I think it's something basic, though. I can't even get the simple apps to show up on the list of rails apps in the GoDaddy CGI_admin console to create a symlink.

I could really, really use a copy of a simple app that's working on GoDaddy (and the .htaccess files, just to to be sure.)

I'm desperate. I've already paid for several years of the service. I even paid a company to deploy my app on GoDaddy. They took my money and didn't do it. I'm embarrassed to say how much of my money they took...

For the longest time I had an example rails app up and running without
problem on goDaddy (unless of course you consider 10 second spin up
time a problem). Anyway, just recently I tried setting up a rails 2.0
app so that I could update my blog and was unable to get it to do
anything. I'm pretty sure some of the problems include the
'require_gem' to 'gem', etc updates.

So, in a roundabout way, what I'm trying to say is that unless this is
a Rails 1.2 app, I'm 99% sure you're not going to get it running on
goDaddy.

One new bit of new information. It was a bad .htaccess file at the top level directory of the whole web site that was making the cgi_admin console not see any of my app directories. I think I had copied one of the ones that GoDaddy provided. So, word to the wise: don't trust the GoDaddy auto-created .htaccess files.

The news about 2.0 apps is scary. I upgraded when I bought a new laptop a few months ago...

It seems clear to me that the GoDaddy support folks I talked to knew exactly what my problem was, and were trying to provide hints, but could not tell me directly. It's been some weird conversations along the way, including the one about "yes, we successfully ran a test app on your site, but we cannot give you the working sample..."

Looking at the production logs and the CGI Admin error log (thanks for the reminder that I should look again!), I figured out that I was missing the public folder's subdirectories. But, still stuck. CGI Admin error log now says:

[Sun Jul 6 21:23:06 2008] [error] [client 67.164.130.54] File does not exist: /var/chroot/home/content/l/i/s/lisaice/html/cookbook/ recipes/show [Sun Jul 6 21:23:14 2008] [error] [client 67.164.130.54] Directory index forbidden by rule: /var/chroot/home/content/l/i/s/lisaice/html/ cookbook/ [Sun Jul 6 21:23:22 2008] [error] [client 67.164.130.54] File does not exist: /var/chroot/home/content/l/i/s/lisaice/html/cookbook/ recipes/ [Sun Jul 6 21:23:31 2008] [error] [client 67.164.130.54] File does not exist: /var/chroot/home/content/l/i/s/lisaice/html/cookbook/ recipes [Sun Jul 6 21:23:36 2008] [error] [client 67.164.130.54] File does not exist: /var/chroot/home/content/l/i/s/lisaice/html/cookbook/ recipes/show

And the development log now how a complaint about recognizing the favicon.ico

I'm unclear about why it switched to development...

Yeah. Even I gave up on goDaddy and joined RailsPlayground. goDaddy does not look like it is serious about Rails and the biggest issue as mentioned is that there is no SSH!

I too gave up on trying to get my app running through GoDaddy. When I called for help they basically said that sure they offer Rails but they had no idea on how to get a rails app up and working - they offered no support. I then went to A Small Orange and even though I had trouble getting my up up and running on my own I called and asked for help and they setup everything for me. I have had no problems with A Small Orange support or customer service - they get an A+ from me. In short stay away from GoDaddy if you are a rails developer - you will never get it to work, I have talked to countless numbers of people who have had no success in getting their rails apps running with GoDaddy.

Officially giving up. Thanks for the advice and commiseration!

-icewoman

Hello all,

I know how very challenging it can be to host a ROR application of GoDaddy. The good news is that after 10 days of blood, sweat and tears, I finally got it

to work!!!

First, let me start by saying that I'm somewhat of a newbie to Rails. However, I've been programming in Java and/or C# for the last 10+ years so I've been

around the block a couple times when it comes to this stuff. Secondly, this was undoubtedly one of the most challenging development tasks I've undertaken

this year, so please don't feel bad if you didn't get it to work the first 10 attempts because it took me waaaaay more than that!. Well, with that said, I'm

sure you're eager to get to the how-to so let's do it.

Right now, I'd love to write a few paragraphs on how GoDaddy's Ruby on Rails support and documentation is abominal, but that would only be preaching to the

choir... Instead, let's make some lemonade :slight_smile:

One more thing, please forgive and typing/spelling errors, I'm writing this in Notepad.

My Setup

Just wanted to make two quick corrections:

Edit the middle section of the .fcgi file to look like this:

should be

Edit the middle section of the .htaccess file to look like this:

2. Any occurrence of 'hellworld' should be 'helloworld'

Wow. That's dedication. Just what I was looking for a couple weeks ago!

It only took me a few hours and a couple false starts to get going on A2. (Mostly required getting the admins to install gems for me because their auto-installer wasn't doing the trick. But, they were SO much more helpful than GoDaddy. And, having ssh access makes a huge difference...