How TO deploy A Rails application on GoDaddy

Hello All

I am new to deployment an rails application . i purchased web hosting plan on go-daddy. and did the following stpes

1. Log in to the GoDaddy Hosting Control Center

Make sure Java is disabled (under Language Options). If it is enabled, you can’t deploy a Rails application. Change the setting to none (and you’ll need to wait 24 hours for your site(s) to be moved to a new server). 3. Log into the CGI control panel and create a Rails application directory. 4. Create a symbolic link to your newly created rails directory.

1. Freeze your gems: rake rails:freeze:gems

Next to do is

1. Edit your dispatch.* files to reference #!/usr/local/bin/ruby

Where is dispatch.* . I don’t know that

Error coming right now

Internal Server Error

Something else i missed and if Anybody have document or notes please help me on this ??

Link below is your answer: http://www.johnyerhot.com/2008/11/04/deployment-nightmare-godaddy/

I don't think godaddy is good place to deploy rails applications. You will save your time and money if you choose another place to host your application. I use linode, thought that one is a VPS which you must config from scratch (install os, webserver, ruby, pessenger, gems, rails etc).

Thanks but there is no hope to get it working :frowning:

Hello All

I am new to deployment an rails application . i purchased web hosting plan on go-daddy. and did the following stpes

1. Log in to the GoDaddy Hosting Control Center

Make sure Java is disabled (under Language Options). If it is enabled, you can’t deploy a Rails application. Change the setting to none (and you’ll need to wait 24 hours for your site(s) to be moved to a new server). 3. Log into the CGI control panel and create a Rails application directory. 4. Create a symbolic link to your newly created rails directory.

1. Freeze your gems: rake rails:freeze:gems

Next to do is

1. Edit your dispatch.* files to reference #!/usr/local/bin/ruby

Where is dispatch.* . I don’t know that

Sounds like these instructions were written for an older version of rails - rails stopped generating dispatch.fcgi files a while ago. If you search for rails fastcgi you may find some instructions on what a modern dispatch.fcgi file should look like - I remember something like that being posted here not all that long ago.

Fred

Hello All

I’m sure you dont want to hear this and forgive me if someone else already mentioned, but if you are starting out on rails and you dont have any specific reasons not to, go with Heroku. First it is free, and second it is easy. It will allow you to focus on learning ruby and rails. Deploying manually in the end is not bad but it is not exactly straight forward and can be laced with issues if you have never done it — for me I am glad I used heroku for awhile before having to do a manual deployment, as by then I had knowledge about how to go about figuring out where problems were and how to deal with (i.e. using rails console, debugger, running my tests on the deployment environment, really understanding a rails install, etc.)

Kannav R. wrote in post #996345:

1. Log in to the GoDaddy Hosting Control Center 2. Make sure Java is disabled (under Language Options). If it is enabled, you can't deploy a Rails application. Change the setting to none (and you'll need to wait 24 hours for your site(s) to be moved to a new server). 3. Log into the CGI control panel and create a Rails application directory. 4. Create a symbolic link to your newly created rails directory.

5. Freeze your gems: `rake rails:freeze:gems`

Next to do is

6. Edit your dispatch.* files to reference #!/usr/local/bin/ruby

I tried running Rails using FastCGI once a long time ago. It was a horrible experience and I don't recommend it.

I am currently using a VPS from Webbynode using Phusion Passenger and have been very happy with my deployment. Setup was amazing easy using their Rails ReadyStack. It was actually easier to setup on the VPS than I remember it being using FastCGI.

I don't know if I would use Webbynode for larger commercial sites, but it works great for my low traffic web application. Webbynode isn't free, but it is a fantastic value IMHO.

http://webbynode.com/

I had tried to host on godaddy, bluehost, a2, gator hosting , but all are a waste of time and energy .

www.linode.com , its the best . webbynode is still the same, but performance wise and support of linode is far better .

I agree with heroku practice that definitely helps a lot .

there is only ways as I can see .

Free : Heroku.com Paid : linode.com or webbynode.com (min 20USD per month) .

Now have around 20 different apps on linode hosted for the past 2 years and no problems yet .

Thanks, Piyush Gupta www.thebrainpoint.com www.23impressions.com